[DONE 11.0.0] AAliasing: Smart For Tool : CustomBrush

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Mads Juul

[DONE 11.0.0] AAliasing: Smart For Tool : CustomBrush

Post by Mads Juul »

We have "AAliasing: Smart" for "Tool : Transform" I would really like to see it implemented for the "Tool : CustomBrush "

(A note : I guess the property "Smooth " in Custombrush is the same as "AALiasing" in the Transform tool? Maybe custombrush smooth should be renamed to AAliasing so it is the same as Tool:Transform )

When implementing Smooth(AAliasing):Smart in Tool:Custombrush, i think it is important when using the " Cut tool" that you can choose if the Smooth should be Smart in the Custom brush. so instead of a checkboc where you can Choose between None(unchecked) and Medium(cheked) there should be a dropdown , where you can choose between the 4 modes none,Medium,Beast and Smart. I think this is important for the smart feature to work.
Last edited by Mads Juul on 11 Oct 2015, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Sewie

Re: AAliasing: Smart For Tool : CustomBrush

Post by Sewie »

Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

+1
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
ryberg

Post by ryberg »

+1

if I could +100, I would.

Also, it would be nice if the cutbrush tool would remember what smooth (and it should really be called AAliasing) it was set at from last time it was used.
That way you won't have to move way over there and click that button again and again and again...

And another thing, this is probably worth a thread for it self, anyway, the great mystery of transformation blurring.
It's been there from day one, and I always wondered why any sort of AAliasing in transformation from either cutbrush or the transform tool would render a slightly "fuzzy" version from the original that usually is more sharp looking. I know it's not vectors we're working with here, but if photoshop can do it why can't TVpaint?

Sorry, if I'm getting off topic.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Sorry but look more carefully : even in photoshop the transform tool is far from being perfect.
There are already many topic about this so I/we probably won't debate that much here.
Fabrice Debarge
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Yes lets keep the subject to
"AAliasing: Smart For Tool : CustomBrush"
Which I hope to see in a not that distant future
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
ryberg

Post by ryberg »

yeah, I didn't mean to throw this topic off. Sorry about that.

Also, if I had payed more attention to the cutbrush tool, I would have noticed the "Keep" checkbox, which does exactly what I was asking for earlier :)
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

ryberg wrote: Also, if I had payed more attention to the cutbrush tool, I would have noticed the "Keep" checkbox, which does exactly what I was asking for earlier :)
Ahh yes. I have forgotten about the keep checkbox. then we dont need a dropdown menu, as I have describe in the first post. Checking "keep" will do that I always select "smart"
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

ryberg

Post by ryberg »

but "Keep" also remembers ALL the attributes, so if your last cutbrush was rotated, scaled and set to Alpha Stamp and what not, then you need to reset it and you're back to square one.
Then you could set your cutbrush to "Brush Smooth" instead of "Keep" and it will remember to AntiAlise.
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

ryberg wrote:but "Keep" also remembers ALL the attributes, so if your last cutbrush was rotated, scaled and set to Alpha Stamp and what not, then you need to reset it and you're back to square one.
Then you could set your cutbrush to "Brush Smooth" instead of "Keep" and it will remember to AntiAlise.
Oh Yes thats why I forgot about Keep. Because I cannot use it!. Ok So I NEED the dropdown menu(or something) to be sure to always select smart (Or none , better, best).
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Lukas

Post by Lukas »

+1!

Image quality is way too bad when rotating brushes. Smart aliasing would save a lot of time which is now spend doing unnecessary tracing.

I tried scripting something myself, but it failed because of a bug.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I'm having second thoughts about whether a CustomBrush "SMART" AAliasing option would be all that helpful. Here's why.

In the case of the Transform Tool a "SMART" AAliasing option is important because each transformed frame always captures, re-rasterizes and re-stamps the previous version back onto the frame. The resulting rasterized degradation is cumulative = a copy of a copy of a copy, etc. So "SMART" AAliasing will keep the same rasterized state as long as the new frame doesn't scale or rotate the copy... i.e. no change = "NONE". If the modified frame is scaled and/or rotated, then "SMART" will apply "BEST" to minimize degradation - but re-rasterizing even using "BEST" will degrade each newly transformed image.

In the case of the CustomBrush, the original, first generation, CutBrush or AnimBrush is always held somewhere in memory and is the source image to which current CustomBrush parameters are NEWLY APPLIED each time the CustomBrush is stamped. So with any kind of progressive-parameter stamping of the CustomBrush, each time you make any transform, (rotation, scaling, flipping, redimensioning, or whatever) you are always just a single rasterized conversion away from the original. A "SMART" AAliasing intervention will only override "BEST" with "NONE" when the CustomBrush parameters are 100% scale and 0,90,180,270 rotation, in effect, a very rare situation... and even on those occasions, "BEST" AAliasing does a very good (if uneeded) job on the original.

The only occasion I find "MEDIUM" AAliasing to be acceptable is when I have created a CutBrush or AnimBrush based tool... and because of it's large size or complex modifications that the CustomBrush applies to each step, I get too much lag - so I replace "BEST" AAliasing with "MEDIUM" AAliasing on that CustomBrush.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Svengali wrote: in effect, a very rare situation..
I disagree I would use this feature all the time.

I will try to explain

I use stamp in place to copy parts of drawing or move part of drawing(it's faster than make selection and tranform) in this situations the anti-aliasing have to be None else the stamp in place or move is blurred

When I want to scale and/or rotate a part of a drawing I use anti-aliasing Best.

I constantly swap between stamping in place and rotate/scale.

Now I all the time have to set the correct anti-aliasing. If i had a smart mode I could set it once and for always .
This would be a big improvement for my work flow
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Mads,
Yes, I understand your argument, makes sense. I ALWAYS use CutBrush/Stamp rather than the TRANSFORM Tool, too.

It would seem the best solution then would be to change the default smoothing for a CutBrush operation from "MEDIUM" to "SMART". Then rotate, scale and all other CustomBrush operations will take care of themselves, choosing "NONE" or "BEST" as appropriate.

I would keep "MEDIUM" and "BEST" options, too, as I explained above.

Sven

Edit: IF or Until "SMART" smoothing becomes the default for CutBrush operations you might create a button for rotation that includes:

Command:tv_BrushRestore SubPixel 2
key:Brush:Rotate

This will automatically guarantee that any rotated CustomBrush will use "BEST" Smoothing. You'll still have to set any CutBrush from "MEDIUM" to "NONE" for simple cut/paste.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

+1 from me
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM