floating window

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
aAntin

floating window

Post by aAntin »

Hello everyone,

Before continuing further, let me introduce myself...

My name is Antoine, it's been a long time I've heard about TVPaint, and I finally have the opportunity to use and test it. I'm impressed by the software, bravo to all development team !!!
I'm currently working as an Animator at Prima Linea, but I also like to develop tools by myself. Then here I am on George's section... Hi everybody !

My question of the day : I've just read the thread Write to the statusline?, and I was wondering if it is possible to interact with a floating window as well. For example, I'd like to have an interface window always on top that the user can move wherever he wants, and for every execution of a script, we might get the ID of a window and write any information we want inside. Am I clear enough ?

Thanks,
A.
Fabrice

Re: floating window

Post by Fabrice »

Hello Antoine,

Nice to see you here.

The dev Team should answer soon. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Hi Antoine,

We just talked about your proposition. We will see if we can something like a "George console" which allows you to write what you want in it. :wink:
Just one question : Is that only to have a "Debug Window", or do you plan to make something more complicated ?
aAntin

Post by aAntin »

Hello Fabrice, Hello Eric,

Thank you for your answer !

Indeed, a debug window would be nice ! I just would like to display some informations.

For the moment I'm only using the tv_LockDisplay/tv_UnLockDisplay commands with an empty loop with a big number, but of course execution time depends on system configuration. Not very clean code, I know...

I was thinking of a window that could stay like a tool panel. A difference would be that I'd like such a window to stay on top of the project window drawing area.

What I'm about to write now is just optional : if it was possible to add a window where we could write a form inside with text, checkboxes, radio button, lists, submit and cancel buttons or else for example, it would definitely open horizons !!! :D As an example of what I'm thinking of, it could be a window like the "file/export" one. But this is not what I would need for now, just for discussion... What about other users ? Am I the only one to think of this ? In this case, please forget about my suggestion... :oops:

Thank you,
Antoine.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

... dreaming big - 8)

I think a command in George that would permit the display of Information and/or Data (or even an image) window would be a welcome addition to George scripters. It could include both a timer (closing after a designated interval) or a click-to-close button. Perhaps a collapse/expand option as well (like the panel has) and the ability to reposition the window and use optional command parameters to position it precisely (x,y pixel placement).

Modal and non-Modal versions?

A form window (check boxes, radio buttons, etc.) would revolutionize George scripting!

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

For this kind of windows you have to write a plugin... in C or C++, not george :P
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
aAntin

Post by aAntin »

I was just dreaming of a simple way to do it, but yes, you're right... ok... :p
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

In fact, floating windows are terribly greedy in power. TVPaint manage images in time, layers, fx, animated brushes and thousands of functions, but it stays very responsive and not too buggy.

By including floating windows, we would obtain a heavy software, not comfortable to use. So well, we made a choice :wink:
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Antoine,

Do you think that Eric proposal would be enough for you ?

It should not be a heavy development for us, and you would have something fitting your needs.
(of course, this is temporary, before we made a more complex and powerful code in the future)

Deaming big with TVPaint : ok, no problem (but give us some time for the development. :P )
Fabrice Debarge
aAntin

Post by aAntin »

Hello Elodie, Fabrice,

If I understand correctly, yes Eric' suggestion would be enough. A Debug Window like seems to be a very good start !

Thanks again ! :D