SplatterBrush!

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
Paul Fierlinger

Re: SplatterBrush!

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

If you tweak the profile editor in size / jitter / opacity etc.. you can get quite a few different effects out of these four brushes.
Where should I look for that?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

In the custom brush options each control, Pressure, Jitter, Opacity, and Angle as well as Wet Profile have this profile editor mode..
Here's an example setting, turning the step down to 3, and the profile editor in Pressure, I added a point, and turned things down a bit..which gives you a short dense spray with little pressure, a larger one with more pressure.
The same goes for opacity. You could tweak the profile editor in opacity to give light opacity with light pressure, then darker pressure when you use heavy pressure.. or flip that and have the reverse happen, etc.

I only found out about the profile editors for the custom brushes a little while ago, and combining those with an animbrush.. and toying with different effects, one really can come up with infinite variations on a single animbrush.
I really like it. Fun stuff to play with.

C
profile.jpg
Paul Fierlinger

Got it! I never figured out to click on the connection buttons. Thanks. :D
Paul
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Thanks a lot Chad. These are good brushes.
They have wide scope. The downside to them is that on my machine, being high res brushes, in Medium smoothing the brushes lag some, and on No smoothing they pixelate. So I compromise for laggy medium smoothing.

And playing around with them yields cool results.
For instance, if you set the animation to 'Random & Hold', Reduce the pressure scope (with profile editor) and the step size to 0 or 1, you get a bristly brush with different (random) bristle every stroke. From there you can continue changing the brush mode to 'smear' (with low smear levels), and connect opacity with Fade. You got yourself a good looking bristly brush!

cheers
chad's brush.jpg
chad's brush.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 6113 times
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

excellent ! 8)
Fabrice Debarge
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

@malcooning Have you tried hitting the 'optimize' button? I have no idea to this day what this button does exactly, but it seems to speed these brushes up quite a bit. Might want to give it a go, and re-save the brushes..
C
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

CartoonMonkey wrote:@malcooning Have you tried hitting the 'optimize' button? I have no idea to this day what this button does exactly, but it seems to speed these brushes up quite a bit. Might want to give it a go, and re-save the brushes..
C
I did indeed.
"optimize" trims all blank and unused space in all frames of the brush. It's recommended to apply optimization on every brush before you wrap it up.
Paul Fierlinger

Asaf, that tweak to the Splat brush looks so good --- the best thick paint brush I've met so far -- but I haven't succeeded in emulating it. Could you be so kind and post it here (or send it to me privately)?
Paul
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

No, man. Post it here, please!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Great brushes - unfortunately I'd need a machine with much more power to be able to use them.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

sorry guys, didn't see those posts for some time now - I was on holiday.
Well, I'm back, and here are new year brushes!

(In the panel you'll find 2 brushes: Bristler - paint with this one initially, and Grunger - use it to mix and add some character. The purple colors are to be excused)

EDIT: for a better usage, remove the color command lines from both brushes' custom button commands, and then it won't reset to purple colors every time you select these brushes. If you struggle i'll upload a color-less panel)

enjoy
Attachments
opaque.tvpx
(657 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Paul Fierlinger

Asaf, these two brushes have potential but the one thing that bothers me is the way the Grunge brush feathers the edges. What can I do to minimize that fuzzy stuff?
Paul
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Asaf, these two brushes have potential but the one thing that bothers me is the way the Grunge brush feathers the edges. What can I do to minimize that fuzzy stuff?
you can see in my image a few post above that I tend to use the grungy one sparingly and usually in the center of paint mass. I avoid going over the edges as not to ruin the bristly bits. Try to reduce opacity by half or more, or maybe make the brush much smaller.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

I love 'em. Thanks, Malc!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

hi all-

do these 'opaque' and 'splatter' brushes work on tvp 8.6.2 on mac os x 10.5.8?

when i drag the tvpx file onto a running tvp, i get a blank/empty 'load extensions..' window. if i hit ok, or even 'select all, ok', the brushes don't show up in the windows>custom panels area.

thanks much,
cc
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
(currently running Monterey 12.6)
Cintiq 22HD (2015), driver 6.3.36-2