Symbols in TVPaint

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )

Would you like to see dynamic symbols in TVP version 10?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 17

Elodie

Re: Symbols in TVPaint

Post by Elodie »

slowtiger wrote: The point is: implementing such a function only makes sense when it a) really fits into the overall concepts of TVP and b) is at least as good as in other software, or even better. It doesn't make sense if all to be achieved is only a bad copy of something else, or clumsy and complicated to use.
I agree with you !

"Do it well, or don't do it" ^^
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Chad, as we discussed in another thread, there are problems with your suggestion. As already underlined by some in this thread here, your poll only exacerbates the suggestion. when you approach people here with terms like "symbols" and "like in Flash" you should not be surprised to get sharp reactions. Similar ideas have been suggested in the past couple of years, including project-nesting and non-rendered animbrushes, and were discussed without stirring up so much opposition.

The verisimilitude to Flash creates opposition, for lack of our ability to imagine how a useful feature of an alternative platform will be implemented in our platform. In order to appeal more sensibly to our logic you should bring a well constructed plan of how a feature like symbols would be implemented in TVP. Such feature need to correspond with the different existing strong points of of TVP, including the way it actually "bakes" the animation into the frame and the fact that it is a bitmap program and does not (yet) have object-level capabilities. Not to say that object-level features cannot be introduced into TVP, It just need a sensible, and if possible - exciting, introduction.
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Again, this poll is not really aimed at the beta testers. It does nothing at all to "exacerbate" the situation. It merely puts in a public forum, a suggestion / question about a new feature. The poll is for a more broad base of users beyond that small beta group, who I believe should get a chance to voice their opinions on the possibility.

I'm well aware that TVP doesn't currently have an object orientated system in place to handle this sort of thing. Honestly merely adding a rotate / scale / pivot / reposition widget to the existing animbrush as in the current move / warp tool would be a step in this direction. To be able to easily set keyframes on the animbrush without entering the FX panel / keyframer. I believe this is well within the parameters of what we already have, no? Taking it a step further into true object orientated symbols with a dynamic timeline would be incredible for a bitmap application, but one can always dream...

C
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

but one can always dream...
Nobody in the TVP team said it's not possible. However, it's a complex development, and the integration in the current software/interface is even more difficult.
We are proceeding step by step ...
Fabrice Debarge
NickA

Post by NickA »

Hi Chad, I'm not sure exactly what you want me to explain. but yea I used flash for a month or two when I first started about thinking about learning to animate. I think I used symbols a bit as well as motion tweening ( it's a while back), but not in any real depth. I vaguely remember getting confused by some of it.

Anyway, I voted no after the video as I didn't really see how this was much better than the animbrushes and keyframing already available. Plus I don't use either of them that much as the moment so I didn't really see the benifit.

After your reply to Slowtiger, I conceded that yes, more visual controls for editing the animbrushes and/or keyframes would be helpful for those tools and combining the two may also be convenient (maybe, if it doesn't make things more confusing). I still don't see the advantage of combining it all in a symbol (I remember being confused at first when I'd accidently go into a symbol in flash and temporarily lose contact with the larger project and not be able to do certain things etc).

Maybe having the option of exporting a (super/regular) animbrush to a new Anim layer might be better (I haven't thought It through)?

if I had to vote again I probably wouldn't vote. The whole symbol system in flash, converted to TVP isn't just one feature, it's a whole bunch plus a new paradigm. Some of it is probably good for TVP, some maybe not. Each part should be carefully concidered on its own. It all could definately make the software more confusing or frustrating if not done well.

I am definately for more visual widgets though Chad. I especially like having keyboard shortcut access to them (rather than having to look and click on the correct part of the widget). Maybe both would be handy (in addition to numerical access)?
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Nobody in the TVP team said it's not possible
. Thanks for the reply Fabrice! And I'm sorry to be such a pest. I of course love the software like everyone else, and just want to see it do all sorts of things. Really, the development of 9.5 is just incredible from my standpoint, and as close to true magic as one can get, and I thank you guys for the opportunity to contribute in any small way. I have just lately felt the need to vigorously defend my position, because I believe so strongly in this one feature. I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. :oops:

@NickA -Thanks for the explanation. I can see your frustration about symbol use in flash, and going inside the symbol and losing contact with the main timeline. However, it's easily explained like this. Imagine you have an animbrush that could sit by itself on the stage. Imagine that it also has that easy transformation box, with a size / rotate / scale widget. Now imagine the ability to set easy keyframes without having to go into the fx panel. That's it! that's a symbol. Multiple frames of animation encapsulated inside a little container. In other words.. very similar to an animbrush, but with those controls, and it's own timeline.

The things that confuse most people about symbols in Flash include some of the things you mentioned: Double clicking a symbol that contains one or more frames of animation, takes you off of the main timeline into edit mode, where you're editing the frames of that symbol. Pretty handy actually. The main stage, and everything on it's multiple layers that isn't your symbol, becomes greyed out, so that you know you're only editing your symbol. The confusing thing is, that both things are displayed at once! Sort of like an onion skin. This is still useful though, because it lets you reference the place in the main timeline that you left, before going in to edit a symbol. Here's a detailed example:

Let's say you have a character that is wearing a hat. The hat has it's own separate bit of animation to it, say 15 frames of a bounce up and down. This bit of animation is inside a symbol and is on it's own layer. Now, in your main timeline, on layer two, let's say you have another symbol. This one contains 15 frames of a hand drawn character walking, with a bit of a bounce. Using symbols on the main timeline, it's easy to just adjust the size, rotation or placement of the hat symbol, and make it's animation match the animation of the body / character on layer 2. Don't like the color of the hat? Easy. Double click the symbol, anywhere it exists on the timeline, and start editing your color. Jump back out to the main timeline and play it... you're done. Symbols are useful for all kinds of things, and you can have symbols within symbols, for all kinds of dynamic effects. Let's say you animate a fly zipping around the screen. Got that motion perfect? Great.. let's say it's 30 frames of a fly buzzing around. Well, it's easy to copy that symbol, paste it down again and make a 2nd fly. rotate it, re-scale it, and move it.. maybe add a third, and a fourth. Get the idea? The real power comes in, when you select all of those symbols, that contain all those frames of animation, and place them all.. inside another symbol! You can then tween that large group all over the stage, scaling and rotating as you please, never having to render or bake anything into the scene. This ultimate flexibility and unique ability quite literally caused a gigantic revolution in 2D animation, and I believe it to be an essential core functionality of any modern 2d animation software. TVP partially already does this with clips, the keyframer, and the animbrush.. just not quite in the same fashion.

Now currently, this all being done with vector graphics, this object orientated system of nested animation and easy transformations is all possible due to the fact that vector graphics take up much, much less data / memory than bitmap / raster graphics. So, this is some of the concern that a fully realized object based symbol type system, just wouldn't be feasible in TVP. They're literally two horses of a different color, memory wise.

Thanks for listening, and to Peter, Asaf, and others, my apology for the rough tone of my earlier messages. You're all artists and peers whose artwork and opinions I do respect and admire, so I'm sorry to have gotten an bit flustered and frustrated through my long and probably tedious explanations.

On to the V10!
Best,
C
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

CartoonMonkey wrote:
Nobody in the TVP team said it's not possible
. Thanks for the reply Fabrice! And I'm sorry to be such a pest. I of course love the software like everyone else, and just want to see it do all sorts of things. Really, the development of 9.5 is just incredible from my standpoint, and as close to true magic as one can get, and I thank you guys for the opportunity to contribute in any small way. I have just lately felt the need to vigorously defend my position, because I believe so strongly in this one feature. I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. :oops:
No Probs Chad ! :D Everybody is free here to give his opinions. And as I told before : Why not? It's not a bad idea =)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

CartoonMonkey wrote: Thanks for listening, and to Peter, Asaf, and others, my apology for the rough tone of my earlier messages. You're all artists and peers whose artwork and opinions I do respect and admire, so I'm sorry to have gotten an bit flustered and frustrated through my long and probably tedious explanations.

On to the V10!
Best,
C
No problem Chad.
I like and respect your care for the best possible TVP!

On to V10! :mrgreen:
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

CartoonMonkey wrote:Thanks for listening, and to Peter, Asaf, and others, my apology for the rough tone of my earlier messages. You're all artists and peers whose artwork and opinions I do respect and admire, so I'm sorry to have gotten an bit flustered and frustrated through my long and probably tedious explanations.
it's all cool Chad. I really know where you're coming from. I also found myself pushing incessantly on a feature that I thought would be perfectly beneficial to the software, only to realize that not everyone share that insight and zeal. I still hold on to some of those requests and waiting for the right time to bring my pushy cards out again :)
It's important to bring new ideas across extensively.
After all, if not us, who will Push the TVP-force into their missions?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

malcooning wrote:... I also found myself pushing incessantly on a feature that I thought would be perfectly beneficial to the software, only to realize that not everyone share that insight and zeal. I still hold on to some of those requests and waiting for the right time to bring my pushy cards out again :)
exact, we are all swimming in our own lane, though all in the same water ! :)
sometimes, a missing feature (= a very basic one imo) I considered as the highest priority in the "To Do" list, doesn't seem to miss so much to others, so I quickly stop to be harassing with this request.
that said, it can come back at any time, raised up by another one in a much propicious period (developpement speaking),
and suddenly spring up at my face, like a mushroom in autumn ... that's the matter of the beast ! :wink: