Non-adjacent "instance of" and "instance with"

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
djm99001

Non-adjacent "instance of" and "instance with"

Post by djm99001 »

I have an idea that might need a graphical demonstration (which I'll provide if no one can understand what I'm getting at)--

A layer could be identified as an "instance of" or an "instance with" another layer (of the same length, unless there was some kind of inter-/extrapolation).

"Instance Of" would mean that the layer is locked--they are defined by the Instance Source.

"Instance With" would mean that the layer changes simultaneously with the other corresponding instance layer(s).

The thing that makes this especially interesting is that the layers could be staggered in time, to occur either one frame later, or two minutes later. So one ant could become a trail of ants three frames apart, or one bird flying by in the BG could become birds flying by several times in a scene, irregularly timed (each "instance layer" could be positioned individually, even before the first bird is finished being animated).
I also imagine that the layers could be panned or otherwise transformed without breaking the instance link. So that the birds flying by could be different sizes, and perhaps mirrored horizontally.

I don't understand how TVPaint works, but it always surprises me with how responsive multiple project windows can be, in simultaneity. This is why I am guessing that this feature could be implemented without choking the draw speed.

In my mind, this feature would be the bitmap equivalent of a Flash symbol, since it would arm every layer with the capability to be re-deployed anywhere else in the scene (without having to make it into an animated brush!).

I hope this makes sense to, or even *interests* anyone!!!

Thanks everybody!
David