A LINUX Version

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Satrip

A LINUX Version

Post by Satrip »

I think I won't upgrade to v.9 until you make it linux compatible .

This is really the most important thing I'm waiting for about TVP.

Who else want it to be developed ?
I hope I'm not the only one waiting for it, and programmers will take care of it! :wink:
Satrip

Re: A LINUX Version

Post by Satrip »

Up!
No one else want it?! :?
Attachments
It would be Great!...
It would be Great!...
Last edited by Satrip on 27 Aug 2008, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

lol ! Fun picture :lol:

You are right, we need to know what could be the Linux market for TVP.
If there is enough people, we could decide to invest time and money in the future.

Please leave a post in this topic if you are interested.
Fabrice Debarge
mylo grenalyn mayel

Post by mylo grenalyn mayel »

Hello,

I'm interested by a Linux version.

Bonjour,
Voila quelques temps que je m'intéresse à TVPaint (testé en version d'évaluation/démo pour l'instant), toutefois, si je franchis le pas, je préfèrerai effectivement l'acheter dans une version native Gnu/Linux (ubuntu).

Merci !
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

May I suggest to just ask in several animation forums about how many artists use Linux? A survey just here will not be very successful as long as there's no Linux version of TVP ...
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Satrip

Post by Satrip »

That's a good idea Slowtiger,

I've start a topic about it on the "French Animation" forum ( http://www.frenchanimation.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=2304 )

There is also the "LinuxGraphic" forum, with around 3000 users...
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I'd use it on Linux... one of the main reasons I moved back to Windows for artwork is because Mirage (and TVPaint) weren't on Linux.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I asked a friend of mine who works in OpenSource software distribution, but she couldn't think of a single point where to ask such a question. We only came up with some ideas:
- forums for existing Linux animation software, like Blender and such.
- the whole CreativeCommon movement (they actually do a CC public screening next weekend in Hamburg)

I just noticed that there's no Linux driver provided by Wacom for the big Cintiq 21UX. This might be an important point.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Satrip

Post by Satrip »

slowtiger wrote: ... I just noticed that there's no Linux driver provided by Wacom for the big Cintiq 21UX. This might be an important point.
The driver is not directly provided by wacom but there IS a driver that works very well; As Wacom support the devellopers by providing them with necessary infos, it's a good driver. http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/lin ... N=79248314

I use it with my intuos3 A4 and I can say:
-True it's a bit more complicated to install it than on windows (but I think it's now integrated in distributions like ubuntu studio);
-But when you understand how it works it's fully parametrable, and work as well-if not better- as on windows;
-I use it with Open Canvas+ (wich runs quite right with Wine) and with CinePaint (wich linux version is Good) : Very clean lines when drawing!
-And they still work on it to get it more easy to use/configure , with a good graphic interface etc..

So I think since there is good drivers for wacom tablets and Gfx cards(Nvidia/Ati) for Linux, it must be considered by graphic software developpers!
slowtiger wrote: ...- forums for existing Linux animation software, like Blender and such. ...
I'll do it in french forums , if someone could ask it in English (or other language) forums... Thanks.
Deevad

Post by Deevad »

:D
Each year I spend 3 or 4 days trying to do a migration to Linux ( almost 3 or 4 distro tested ) , so this Tvpaint Linux compatibility could be a great news for those who need a strong 2D software solution , even a stable Wine/Tvpaint solution , as Google do for their software (Picasa) , an integrated custom Wine glued to the software installation...
But I never get a success doing this OS migration cause of Wacom driver mainly ... So let 's Wacom come first in the path of building a stable and productive driver for Linux system more easy to install with express key to configure... After this, Tvpaint greats devellopers could start to work on TVpaint Linux version.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Deevad wrote::D
Each year I spend 3 or 4 days trying to do a migration to Linux ( almost 3 or 4 distro tested ) , so this Tvpaint Linux compatibility could be a great news for those who need a strong 2D software solution , even a stable Wine/Tvpaint solution , as Google do for their software (Picasa) , an integrated custom Wine glued to the software installation...
But I never get a success doing this OS migration cause of Wacom driver mainly ... So let 's Wacom come first in the path of building a stable and productive driver for Linux system more easy to install with express key to configure... After this, Tvpaint greats devellopers could start to work on TVpaint Linux version.
I think there would be an issue more with the Sentinel dongle drivers than with Wacom tablets. I've never done graphics under Linux using Wacom tablet so I can't say how well it works, but Linux is used with Maya, Houdini and other high end CG applications in production, and I am sure they don't make CG animators use mouse only!
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Deevad

Post by Deevad »

idragosani wrote:[...]and I am sure they don't make CG animators use mouse only!
Right, I would like to know wich distribution and kernel they use and wich hardware about tablet.
For the moment I can run my Intuos 3, with express key hard to configurate, and I can't setup my Cintiq 12WX.
mylo grenalyn mayel

Post by mylo grenalyn mayel »

I don't understand very well, but this can help you ?

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

sorry for my bad english.
Deevad

Post by Deevad »

I know well this website mylo grenalyn mayel, I spend a lot of time practising their tutorial, reboot Xorg 10 times, and configurate my express keys in a txt editor...
Installing a 12wx is a pain, may be it's possible ( I done it for 80% , and the last ubuntu almost do it automaticly ) , but to configure the shortcut key that allow to swich monitor / swich tablet screen is almost impossible.
May be they could make things more simpler, and a UI user friendly for express key.
Under Linux, we are still far of the minimal confort for pro utilisation with wacom ...
Satrip

Post by Satrip »

As Deevad said, even a Wine compatibility would be a good news.
It would probably need less work helping to improve Wine for a good compatibilty than a total rebuild of TVPaint.

For now the two most big problems with TVP on Wine are:
-The security dongle: someone did a patch for it (see here : http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=2229 ) I didn't succes using it as I don't know much about programming...

-The "amelioration de la précision option" (tested with a demo) produce a bug, stylus doesn't draw anymore..

If ONLY those two things were corrected, I think TVPaint could say: "It's now Wine compatible" (as the audio software Reaper does.)
It would sure bring more TVPaint users!

ps: I agree with Deevad that linuxwacom isn't yet perfect (specially expresskeys), but it progress a bit every day, and for my point of view it's already useable for a pro. Linuxwacom developpers needs a few more time to integrate new hardwares after they are released than if Wacom did it themselves, that's it... but they do very good work.)