watercolor

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Klaus Hoefs

watercolor

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

I know this is an old hat, but I like to bring it up again:
It’s MoXi, the digital painting technology:
Well anything like that with TVP in sight ? Remembering Raymond's Chinese Brush from long time ago and taking the innovations of TVP into account - at first glance it doesn't seems to be too difficult to get s.th. like this. --- (????)

video-demonstration at youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwcYP2KMgFc

their site:
http://visgraph.cse.ust.hk/MoXi/ --scroll a bit down to see more videos.

Hoefs 19.jpg
Hoefs 19.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 22425 times

Re: watercolor

Post by Fabrice »

ah ... moxi ;)

Some brushes of the Creation Pack have a watercolor rendering (there is a watercolor panel, btw) but to have a such spread (diffusion ?) effect, my best advice is to use the particle FX with a recorded stroke.

nb : the new wet brush profil of the v9.0 may help to get better result than before
Fabrice Debarge
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Thanks for the hint, Fabrice.
The standard "watercolor-palette-brushes " are looking to me like transparent-pastel-airbrushes. Watercolor flows more, even if you have put the brush away from the paper and has this typical fringe you can see it in the last picture I posted.
Anyway when having a little bit more time I will try to get closer to this.

Post by sury rony »

I had almost reasonable results using the water color brush with hard edges and then "watering" it with the healing brush set on paper as source.
But not on blank page , you have to flood fill the background.Play with it.

I couldn not understand the wet brush profile handling and uses... can some one further explain it ?

edit : seems like the moxi guys sold the patent to adobe, but they are open to suggestions , and looking for descent artists for beta testing.
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

yes they sold it non-exclusively to Adobe and Sony. The guy was programming the handling of the avatar-brush at first and for a long time, well this could be skipped in TVP.

The difficulties:
-the peculiar behaviors of blending watercolors
- the drying phase and result, very different to other colors and techniques
- the flowing of water, thinning the color

Post by Fabrice »

I tried Moxi last year (before I was hired by TVPaint) and I have to add those points (pro and cons ...)
1°) the canvas is in 3D, and not really convenient for painting. (the viewed 3D image is not exactly the same that the one obtained after the 2D rendering phase)
2°) the number of parameters is really high, everything can be set (almost 1/3 of the screen is dedicated to the option !) but unfortunalety not intuitive : drying, flowing and blending options are not easy to find and set to obtain good results.
3°) it needs a specific hardware : a powerful NVIDIA 3D video card + a 6D art pen from Wacom. (TVP with the particles system mentioned above doesn't need all that stuff.)
4°) Once mastered, it's possible to obtain very good renderings :)
5°) I sent them some feedbacks, but no answer unfortunalety :(
Fabrice Debarge
hisko

Post by hisko »

Fabrice wrote:I tried Moxi last year (before I was hired by TVPaint) and I have to add those points (pro and cons ...)
1°) the canvas is in 3D, and not really convenient for painting. (the viewed 3D image is not exactly the same that the one obtained after the 2D rendering phase)
2°) the number of parameters is really high, everything can be set (almost 1/3 of the screen is dedicated to the option !) but unfortunalety not intuitive : drying, flowing and blending options are not easy to find and set to obtain good results.
3°) it needs a specific hardware : a powerful NVIDIA 3D video card + a 6D art pen from Wacom. (TVP with the particles system mentioned above doesn't need all that stuff.)
4°) Once mastered, it's possible to obtain very good renderings :)
5°) I sent them some feedbacks, but no answer unfortunalety :(
The watercolor from Moxi looks very interesting.
But could you maybe explain more about the way particles can be used to make a brush?
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Fabrice wrote:(TVP with the particles system mentioned above doesn't need all that stuff.)
That does make sense to me, an emitter with slow explosion-like settings and a appropiate particle picture(s) as it's shape could perhaps simulate the flow.
It isn't too far away from one of those predefined "smoke"-emitters.

Post by Fabrice »

Klaus Hoefs wrote:
Fabrice wrote:(TVP with the particles system mentioned above doesn't need all that stuff.)
That does make sense to me, an emitter with slow explosion-like settings and a appropiate particle picture(s) as it's shape could perhaps simulate the flow.
It isn't too far away from one of those predefined "smoke"-emitters.
Yes, just set the gravity to 0 and the job is quite done with the "heavy smoke" preset.
After this, you only have to choose a new particle file (a scanned stain of watercolor should be ok, for instance)
Fabrice Debarge