Gone fishing

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Julian wigley

Gone fishing

Post by Julian wigley »

I've decided not to follow the software.
All the best with your software futures.
Jules
Klaus Hoefs

Re: Gone fishing

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

- ? (really sorry about this) :(
and Julian what kind of fishes are you after ? and what kind of fishing rod will you use ? and do you know Richard Brautigan ? and ...why ?

Post by Sierra Rose »

I'm sad to hear this. I will miss your input.

Klaus: It feels more like Watermelon Sugar, Jules leaving.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

Klaus, Sierra,
Explanation: The digital iceberg is immense, and I am tired of it. And, once again, I swim with crocodiles. This passes the time but requires my concentration and commitment...along with the occasional splash of ink on paper, and a burl in the rubber duck (boat).

My digital eye has not faded completely. Yet.

All the best with your work.
Jules
PS. My time was not Watermelon Sugar ( Thinking aloud...I better read Brautigan), but more Sweet Movie... the film.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Julian wigley wrote:Klaus, Sierra,
Explanation: The digital iceberg is immense, and I am tired of it. And, once again, I swim with crocodiles. This passes the time but requires my concentration and commitment...along with the occasional splash of ink on paper, and a burl in the rubber duck (boat).

My digital eye has not faded completely. Yet.

All the best with your work.
Jules
PS. My time was not Watermelon Sugar ( Thinking aloud...I better read Brautigan), but more Sweet Movie... the film.
I'm sad to hear this too ... we are not crocodiles, we are cows :wink:
Fabrice Debarge
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

Fabrice,
And an elegant pasture it surely is.
All the best with the software.

I'm not sure if this is right, but here goes..
a bientot,

Jules
Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

We will miss you Jules!
Hope you come back and visit at least once in a while. I really love your art.
Howdy Yaaaal!
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

Val,
You can bet on it.
All the best,
Jules
And keep singing.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hi Julian,
I'm one of your Art fans too ! :wink:

about Digitally or not Digitally,
I think we can do without as long we are working on still image,
I mean using natural media and papers is still the most convenient way to produce
a drawing or painting which can be sold as unique and "original" signed piece of work.

when it goes to work in animation, I think it's hard to do without the help of digital tools
for the times being, and it will be harder and harder in the future.

so, in regard of the media in which you'll decide to work, I bet you will come back
to the ruling digital word, soon or later, whatever the software you'll choose.

anyway, I hope the best for you, and a fruitful creativity.
:)
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

ZigOtto wrote:....

about Digitally or not Digitally,
I think we can do without as long we are working on still image....
:)
Thanks for your considered response. I appreciate your observations.

My issue is personal and not about Digital tools - heck, the erase button is fantastic, along with the Undo, then there is control of layers, luminosity! Then there is Peter's pencil.

It is the lack of physicality that has been festering for the past couple of years, (using a tablet for the first time with Mirage/TVpaint and various other packages). Old fashion under-camera animation demanded a physical connection with your media and hardware. You push paint, sand grains, poppy seeds or your grandfather's ashes, click the shutter-finally you took a risk- its physical. (An aside: I am not a Luddite- started with D-Paint on a very slow Amiga).

Then there is the matter of size. Drawing requires grand sweeps of the mind, with our body /eye/hand in balance -and this applies when drawing on a a 6x4 Wacom tablet or a large canvas. Maybe this illustrates the difference between still and moving images- the still image captures movement, in an instant , and the (sequential ) animated image captures the static, over time. I love both.

All the best with your own work.
Regards,
Jules
hisko

Post by hisko »

I believe for animation the less frustrating way to work now, is to combine real paintings with digital tools. Real paint is unbeatable and tvpaint is unbeatable in comparison with a rostrumcamera and cells and 100.000's of things that can go wrong on the animationtable.
That said, I recently had two hard discs crashing, and when everything went up in digital smoke I vowed to start making a series of oilpaintings for a whole year after my film is finished (2010).
Digital possibilities are fantastic but it's also a scary business.
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Julian wigley wrote:
It is the lack of physicality that has been festering for the past couple of years, (using a tablet for the first time with Mirage/TVpaint and various other packages). Old fashion under-camera animation demanded a physical connection with your media and hardware. You push paint, sand grains, poppy seeds or your grandfather's ashes, click the shutter-finally you took a risk- its physical. (An aside: I am not a Luddite- started with D-Paint on a very slow Amiga).
Jules
Ah, I understand better now. I work against a certain restlessness too, sitting at my desk many hours a day. If I didn't get out hiking every day...to the fragrance of the oaks... the sounds of the woods....the strain of the steep parts of the trail, I'd be in a funk. Although I realize you are speaking of the physicality of the medium which is immediate when you are working.

I'm glad you will stay in touch as I find your work wonderful and inspiring.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

hisko wrote:.....Digital possibilities are fantastic but it's also a scary business.
Hisko,
With its horrendous obsolescence, both in storage devices/media as well as software and hardware updates, boxes of the bloody "stuff" litter my lock-up-(time to cull). Lower costs help to battle the underlying structural obsolescence built into our evolving digital world.

Having said all that, this software costs the same as four good sized, stretched and and primed canvases.

Hisko, I like your attitude, but, if you have the space (spatial, physical as well as mental) do both now, don't wait until 2010. If not-it's a good plan.

Sierra,
Thanks for the kind words. I probably won't be able to keep my trap shut...at times.... when dropping in.

All the best,
Jules.
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

Hello again,
If a fish accidentally swallowed my Mirage dongle (previously provided by Bauhaus software ) would TVPaint Developpment still love me and replace it?
All the best,
Julian
Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

Oh no Julian what a drag! What kind of fish was it? Were you deep sea fishing? I doubt if you could have used it for fly fishing.
Howdy Yaaaal!