SDK question -- new plugin, how does it get loaded?

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
idragosani

SDK question -- new plugin, how does it get loaded?

Post by idragosani »

OK, this might seem dumb, but...

I have a built a test plugin using the SDK (compiled on the first try!). I have a DLL file and I have put it into the Plugins directory. Now how do I get TVP to load it? Do I need to put into a list somewhere? Is it supposed to be automatic? If TVP is trying to load it, how can I diagnose this? Is there a log somewhere so I can see startup errors?
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Manuel

Re: SDK question -- new plugin, how does it get loaded?

Post by Manuel »

The plug-ins are loaded at starting sequence. They should be listed in the Windows/plugin menu.
Manuel
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Manuel wrote:The plug-ins are loaded at starting sequence. They should be listed in the Windows/plugin menu.
Yes, they *should* be, but they aren't. That's why I am asking how to diagnose startup issues.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

have you tried to re-start tvpa ?
also have you tried to add an action in a Custom panel,
and line 0 RMB/Set Plugins ... to see if it appears in the popup list ?
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

ZigOtto wrote:have you tried to re-start tvpa ?
also have you tried to add an action in a Custom panel,
and line 0 RMB/Set Plugins ... to see if it appears in the popup list ?
Yep, tried that, too... is there any way to tell if there is an error while loading?
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

Place it in the plugins folder... I created an SDK folder inside my plugins folder and all SDK samples are placed there so they do not get lost. works here

ex: BOTH fade.dll and fade.loc need to go in folder together if you start with fade example

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

masterchief wrote:Place it in the plugins folder... I created an SDK folder inside my plugins folder and all SDK samples are placed there so they do not get lost. works here

ex: BOTH fade.dll and fade.loc need to go in folder together if you start with fade example

regards,
William
I did put in plugins folder, but no loadie.

Where do I get the .loc file? What needs to go into it? I didn't see any instructions in the SDK documentation, although I see where in the code it tries to load it. Maybe that's why it fails to load... but it would be nice to have some kind of logfile that one can enable for debugging purposes.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

masterchief wrote:Place it in the plugins folder... I created an SDK folder inside my plugins folder and all SDK samples are placed there so they do not get lost. works here

Never mind, I see how these .loc files work. There isn't one bundled with the flip source code
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

OK, so I built with MS Visual C++ Express ... same problem. Plug-in is not getting loaded.

I repeat the question: is there any kind of startup log that can be enabled to debug the loading of plugins?

Is there any general way of debugging a plugin while it is running?
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Interesting I had the same problem also building C++ express, It was my first time in compiling, so I abandoned it
because I thought I simply couldnt figure it out..
I was actually thinking If somebody who know hav to compile knows which soft ware to use borland c++ or microsoft express
Could make a tutorial for absolutely programming beginners. because I would reallt like to learn to make plugins for my favorite software

-mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

Here is the project for VC2005
Attachments
Flip.rar
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

madsjuul wrote:Interesting I had the same problem also building C++ express, It was my first time in compiling, so I abandoned it
because I thought I simply couldnt figure it out..
I was actually thinking If somebody who know hav to compile knows which soft ware to use borland c++ or microsoft express
Could make a tutorial for absolutely programming beginners. because I would reallt like to learn to make plugins for my favorite software
It also builds in Visual C++ Express 2008, if you know how to set up a Win32 DLL Project. Same goes for building in Eclipse.

I just need some advice on how to debug a plugin when it is being loaded into TV Paint. The loading information goes by so fast on the TVPaint screen at startup that I can't see any messages!
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

I compiled the fade plugin using Visual Studio 6.. works great.... I have not figured it out using Code::Blocks IDE with the mingw compiler..
I prefer to stay with the opensource platform

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

idragosani wrote: I just need some advice on how to debug a plugin when it is being loaded into TV Paint. The loading information goes by so fast on the TVPaint screen at startup that I can't see any messages!
For VC2005 or VC2008
Set the output file in the TVPaint plugins folder: Configuration properties->Linker->Output File->"C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\Plugins\flip.dll"
Activate the debug mode: Configuration properties->Linker->Debugging->Generate Debug Info->Yes
Set the exe file: Configuration properties->Debugging->Command->"C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\TVPAnimationPro.exe"
Add a break point in the PI_Open function
Start Debugging ( F5 )
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Hervé wrote:
idragosani wrote: I just need some advice on how to debug a plugin when it is being loaded into TV Paint. The loading information goes by so fast on the TVPaint screen at startup that I can't see any messages!
For VC2005 or VC2008
Set the output file in the TVPaint plugins folder: Configuration properties->Linker->Output File->"C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\Plugins\flip.dll"
Activate the debug mode: Configuration properties->Linker->Debugging->Generate Debug Info->Yes
Set the exe file: Configuration properties->Debugging->Command->"C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\TVPAnimationPro.exe"
Add a break point in the PI_Open function
Start Debugging ( F5 )
Thanks much! I've never done DLL debugging before (my experience is more in Linux & Unix development).