tablet pc

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
cresshead

tablet pc

Post by cresshead »

been looking at a toshiba portege m200

does anyone have a view on using this for tv paint in regards drawing and animating with tv paint ands this pc?

looking at a factory re furb...looks nice n cheap but would like a second opinion if possible in regards the capability of the touch screen ...

steve g
hato

Re: tablet pc

Post by hato »

Hellooo,

have just bought a toshiba m200 with the station. I the test at present, for draft or test of animation it is cool. I shall put tests on the forum soon. I advice to have the stylet cross executive pen from wacom, more definite and with 512 of pressure.

Je viens d'acheter un toshiba m200 avec la station. Je le test en ce moment, pour des esquisse ou test d'animation c'est cool. Je mettrai des tests sur le forum bientôt.
Je conseil d'avoir le stylet cross executive pen de chez wacom, plus précis et avec 512 de pression.

link:http://www.expansys.com/

ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

regarding the specs, it looks like a good machine,
I would just consider a mem. extention (> 2Go),
the 512Mo installed by default seems too restrictive,
nay inadequate for professionnal 2D animation app.
such as TVPA.
:)
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Cresshead, since you're in the UK I think the Lenovo X61 is a good one to consider. When I was looking for a tablet the x61 had a problem with the screen bezel coming off of the glass, but I think it has been sorted since. Check tabletpc review for forums discussion over this.
I think the Portege should be a good onw, but I have never seen nor used one.
I got a Gateway c-140x from the US because I had someone coming over from there. It is MUCH cheaper there, so I could install high specs in, and still be on the lower end of tablet prices. I'm happy with this buy.

Whichever you buy, like Zig said, don't even ponder getting it with anything less than 2GB. Consider the RAM the lungs of your tablet. You need that much air really. You'll gain from a quicker Hard Drive too, but if you don't intend to animate on it, mainly draw, than you won't see much difference between speeds. The screen is important as most tabletpc come in the 12" flavor, which I find very portable, but a bit too small. I got a 14" on mine, and I'm glad I got it, despite being quite heavy.

a
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

malcooning wrote:... The screen is important as most tabletpc come in the 12" flavor, which I find very portable, but a bit too small. I got a 14" on mine, and I'm glad I got it, despite being quite heavy.
the ASUS R1F offers a good compromise, with its 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) display for 4.3 lbs weight,
(in comparison, the GatewayC-140x weighs 6.5lbs configured with the standard 8-cell battery,
and its 14.1-inch XGA screen maxes out at 1280x768).
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

The ASUS should be a good one. can't say I know much about it though. The screen size is indeed a good compromise and you'll gain from the lighter setup. The resolution is different in only 30 Pixels to the height, so you won't really notice the difference. Wide screens are not such a good format for TVP work, but I guess we have to live with this for the mo.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

fyi : our Toshiba TabletPC Portege M400 (mem 2Go, HD 80 Go) works fine with TVP Animation.

res : 1440x1050 (but only 12'' ...)
Fabrice Debarge
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

I bought3 M200 for me and friends. Very decent machine for simple animation tests, which is what I do. Even 512mo seems enough for that. Few things you would need to try before buying a M200 is the USB port. It went faulty on my machine1. The sound card doesn't output sound on the speakers only on headphones on machine2 and the SD card doesnt' work on machine1.

If you need to reinstall the system you might want to contact me as some motherboard don't accept most external DVD so the best way for a reinstall is to boot from a network using a PXE server. I have a free one that is already configured TFTPD

Olive
ZigOtto

Re: tablet pc

Post by ZigOtto »

hato wrote:... I advice to have the stylet cross executive pen from wacom, more definite and with 512 of pressure.

Je viens d'acheter un toshiba m200 avec la station. Je le test en ce moment, pour des esquisse ou test d'animation c'est cool. Je mettrai des tests sur le forum bientôt.
Je conseil d'avoir le stylet cross executive pen de chez wacom, plus précis et avec 512 de pression.
but no lateral button, if I trust my eyes ...
I'm curious, how do you simulate the RMB with this pen ?
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

yep that's the problem