tool power vs. opacity

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Mads Juul

tool power vs. opacity

Post by Mads Juul »

What is the difference between the power and the opacity parameter of the tools?

in the manual it says:
* The variable Power defines the color quantity applied by the tool.
* The variable Opacity defines the global tool opacity.

by the frase "the color quantity applied " do you mean how opaque is the color ? isnt it the same as the opacity parameter.

-Mads?
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

When you use the force parameter, you control the quantity of color you put on the screen. If you stay in the same place with the tool, you will see that you will add more and more color until you saturate it.
The opacity parameter control the opacity of the color. You can not overstep the color you will apply with it.

Just try in the 2 cases, to draw and draw in a little square and you will see the difference.
Ex TVPaint Team
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Hmm I dont get it

first I set the power connection to "None" because The Opacity dont have this , Its a difference

then I shift between
penbrush tool (radius: 30 pixels,power : 100%, opacity : 50%, mode : color)
penbrush tool (radius: 30 pixels,power : 50%, opacity : 100%, mode : color)

the 2 pens act exactly the same. if drying isnt enable they wont add. but if it is(or I flip between frames) both pens will add more and more color. I guess its because the layers Alpha mask is multiplying??

-Mads
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

You can see the opacity as the maximum value that can be reached by the tool.

You can see it better if you test it with standard aibrush.
Try power 20 and opacity 50. (dry off)
You will have to draw several strokes at the same place to reach the 50 opacity but you will not go beyond.

If your power is greater than the opacity, the maximum color is added at the first pass.
Some settings can produce the same results, of course.
I would say : use opacity if you want to guarantee an amount of transparency to your tool.
If you want to be able to add color with several strokes, be sure that Power < Opacity.

The most important difference, imho, is that you have a connection to the power, that you can attach to pressure.
Manuel
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

ahh ok I think I see the difference and its potential

thank you

-mads