scrubbing the timeline and sound

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
oliveuk

scrubbing the timeline and sound

Post by oliveuk »

Hi, I am getting an inconsistent result regarding the audio when I scrub the timeline.

What I would like to achieve is to be able to scrub the timeline and get the audio feedback. This doesn't seem to be working from the main timeline and only work from time to time when scrubbing the timeline of the Project window.

I couldn't find any tip on the manual. What is the recommended way to get the audio playback when scrubbing.

Thank you!

Olive
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Hi Oliveuk,
By default, in the timeline, the sound is disable when scrubbing. To activate it, go in the audio part of the timeline panel and click on the triangle to open the menu (if the audio part is collapse you need to expand it to have the triangle). In this menu you have 3 options for the "jog Audio":
- none: by default no sound when scrubbing,
- always: select it to have sound when moving in the timeline with the arrow keys,
- scrub : select it to have sound when you scrub.
Ex TVPaint Team
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

thanks for the quick reply.

i was already using the "scrub" option in the Audio Jog and tonight I tried a bit longer to understand this inconsistance.

I am using the sound clip from this month "11secondclub.com" competition, which is a PCM file in 44 Khz 16bits 1411 kbps

The "audio scrub duration" is set to 0.30

If I use the arrow on the keyboard and use the Always option this work fine. Great actually and I will probably use that function in the future as it is much better for the wrist, "scrubbing is evil" keeps saying one of my teachers.

But the real scrubbing with the mouse (wacom) doesn't work consistently.

What I realised is that I first need to press play in the Project window then as soon as I press Pause I can scrub the timeline from the Project window but the one from the Main timeline never plays. Only the Pause button allows this trick to work. If I click the stop button then the scrubbing does not work.

Thanks for making me discover the arrow scrubbing this will do for now.

Olive
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

strange I can scrub from the main timeline now after restarting TVPaint.