MacOS - Failing to executing commands from terminal without starting new process.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
strandli

MacOS - Failing to executing commands from terminal without starting new process.

Post by strandli »

Hi!

I'm trying to better integrate TVPaint into our production pipeline by executing george commands and scripts from the commandline.
This works well on Windows.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits)\TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro (64bits).exe" "cmd=[tv_warn 'Message1'][tv_warn 'message2']"
Running this command in command line will find the TVPaint process that's already running, and execute the george commands in that application, and then return.

For MacOS, I've tried the following commands:

open -a "/Applications/TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro.app" --args "cmd=tv_warn Message1"
This will successfully put focus on the already running TVPaint process, just like the Windows example. However, the george commands will not run.

open -n -a "/Applications/TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro.app" --args "cmd=tv_warn Message1"
This command will open a new TVPaint process, and then successfully run the george command. But I don't want to open a new process.

Am I missing some trick here? Is the --args only functional when launching new processes on MacOS? Any solutions to this?
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: MacOS - Failing to executing commands from terminal without starting new process.

Post by Thierry »

Hello strandli,

I've checked with the devs and it's indeed not possible to do that on macOS (and from the look of it, it's also not possible on Linux as well).
We'll have to create some OS-specific code for that.

I've added this in our to-do list, but I'm going to be honest, it will have to wait a bit until it's done, as we have other priorities at the moment.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.