Switching between software freezes TVPaint

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Switching between software freezes TVPaint

Post by Joost »

Hi,

Recently both my intern and I have this problem on different computers (both Mac):
When switching to another program (or browser), and ten go back to TVPaint, sometimes (multiple times a day, but not every time I switch between software) TVPaint has strange some behaviour. I am not able to draw with my Wacom Cintiq, but I do see my cursor move. Then I have to move in my timeline using my keyboard, and then I will be able to draw again (sometimes I have to reselect mat brush tool). It only takes a couple of seconds, but it's still odd.
I don't know if this is a TVPaint bug or a Wacom bug, but it only appears in TVPaint, not in other software.

When I try to reproduce it, it only happens once every 8 times...

Anyone else has this issue?

thanks!

Joost
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
rohandeshchougule

Re: Switching between software freezes TVPaint

Post by rohandeshchougule »

Hi,

Yes this has been happening on my end too. In my case I just have to lift my pen a bit up and then touch the screen once and then it resolves. It happens with a regular Wacom tablet too. I am using Mac at work and at home both. And been using TVPaint in full screen mode.

Thanks!
Simon W Edmondson

Post by Simon W Edmondson »

This is not a problem I've faced so far working with TVP, but did experience a similar problem when using Animation Master ( AM ) on a Mac. It would just freeze and no mouse clicks or stylus use would work. The workaround - the cause was never found - was to press command and H to hide the program, then open it again immediately by clicking on the program icon. Might that be worth a try until the cause is found ?
simon
Joost

Post by Joost »

rohandeshchougule wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 08:33 Hi,

Yes this has been happening on my end too. In my case I just have to lift my pen a bit up and then touch the screen once and then it resolves. It happens with a regular Wacom tablet too. I am using Mac at work and at home both. And been using TVPaint in full screen mode.

Thanks!
Yes, It is easy to resolve indeed. It only takes a couple of seconds. But these couple of seconds add up when moving between different software and/or finder a lot.
This morning I was creating lot of TVP projects copy-pasting layers from from one TVP project to new projects. And every time I saved one project, and I got back to TVP I had to wait a couple of seconds to be able to use TVPaint again (or switch to using a mouse in stead of my stylus). It really took me out of my work flow. I use this method of copy pasting layers to lost of TVPaint projects weekly for years now, but only recently this issue started to show up....
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Any thoughts from the TVPaint team?
Is this a TVPaint bug or a Wacom bug?

Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

No one else with this problem?
Both my intern and me have this issue on different devices...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Joost wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 12:34 Hi,

Recently both my intern and I have this problem on different computers (both Mac):
When switching to another program (or browser), and ten go back to TVPaint, sometimes (multiple times a day, but not every time I switch between software) TVPaint has strange some behaviour. I am not able to draw with my Wacom Cintiq, but I do see my cursor move. Then I have to move in my timeline using my keyboard, and then I will be able to draw again (sometimes I have to reselect mat brush tool). It only takes a couple of seconds, but it's still odd.
I don't know if this is a TVPaint bug or a Wacom bug, but it only appears in TVPaint, not in other software.

When I try to reproduce it, it only happens once every 8 times...

Joost wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 12:25 No one else with this problem?
Both my intern and me have this issue on different devices...

I do not experience this issue you describe. I'm not moving between multiple devices , but I do frequently have other applications running alongside TVPaint (Photoshop, Sketchbook, Harmony) and I switch back and forth between them and TVPaint with no problem.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1