Audio bug + Playback bug + Tablet bug

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
aldomelendrez

Audio bug + Playback bug + Tablet bug

Post by aldomelendrez »

Hello, bonjour, my name is Aldo.
I hope you're all doing fine. I started using TVPaint since last April for a 2D short film, but I've encountered some problems that are heavily affecting my workflow. I'm worried these issues might persist, and I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

COMPUTER
Windows 11 Home
64-bit
11th Gen Processor i7-11375H 3.30GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti

SOFTWARE
TVPaint 11.7.1 Professional Edition - 64 bits (Downloaded on April 2023)

TABLET
Huion Kamvas Pro 20 (2019)
Wacom Cintiq 22HD

-- ISSUES AS JUNE 2023--

AUDIO BUG
I'm using an audio file that is about 4 seconds long and at first when I made the project it was playing correctly, after multiple days working on it it starts to bug and now the audio has static/glitch effect in it. It doesn't matter if I replace the audio, change the codec, import it again, delete and then import again or even if I use another audio, it will always sound like that (only in TVPaint, not happening in any other software or player). I have encountered the issues consistently across all the projects I made.

PLAYBACK BUG
I'm working on a rough animation test, UHD 4K, 24 fps and I noticed a similar issue as the audio bug, which leads me to believe they might be connected. Initially, the playback started correctly from the frame where the playhead was positioned when I pressed 'spacebar.' However, after multiple days of work, the playback and playhead started jumping to random frames after pressing 'spacebar.' For example, if my playhead is on frame 20 and I press 'spacebar,' it starts playing from frame 45 or 50, and if I'm on frame 40, it starts playing from frame 68 (using random numbers for illustration purposes). I have encountered the issues consistently across all the projects I made.

temporary fix for the audio and playback bug?
I tried restarting my TVPaint configuration and started deleting the "tvp animation 11 pro" folder inside the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming location, restarted TVPaint and voila, it's fixed but I have to import my custom panels and set up everything again.
Unfortunately, it only worked for one or two days after both issues returned, so it's not a workaround that actually works.

TABLET BUG
When using the Wacom Cintiq 22HD, there's no problem at all.
When using the Huion Kamvas Pro 20(2019), there's a problem using the side buttons of the pen, I want to use them as a right click but it doesn't work in TVPaint so my workflow to zoom in/out with alt+rmb using the pen doesn't work. If I use the pen outside TVPaint I can right click normally everywhere. I tried updating Huion drivers, reinstalling, go from Wintab>Ink and viceversa in TVPaint's settings but nothing, it appears to be a specific issue with the software + huion.

ADDITIONAL BUG
Additionally, when I was trying workarounds to fix my issues, I tried to update to the most recent TVPaint 11.7.1 Pro version that was released on May, but when I did that every time I opened any scene and pressed 'spacebar' for playback it will freeze and close automatically, as a result, I was unable to use the software. I uninstalled and returned to the previous TVPaint 11.7.1 Pro that I downloaded on April.

I was really excited to work with TVPaint on this short film, but these bugs are significantly delaying my workflow and making the experience chaotic. I hope there's something we can do to fix this. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you for taking the time to read my message. :(

-Aldo
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Audio bug + Playback bug + Tablet bug

Post by Dean »

Hello, could you post your config file when the audio playback issue comes back, please? I'd like to try it on my machine. This is something we haven't been able to reproduce so far.

Regarding the Huion tablet, is there a possibility to create a TVPaint profile in the driver? Also, does changing the Subpixel option helps?
Probably a vampire
aldomelendrez

Post by aldomelendrez »

Dean wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 09:10 Hello, could you post your config file when the audio playback issue comes back, please? I'd like to try it on my machine. This is something we haven't been able to reproduce so far.

Regarding the Huion tablet, is there a possibility to create a TVPaint profile in the driver? Also, does changing the Subpixel option helps?

Hello Dean, for sure, this is the config file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c538pN ... sp=sharing

About the tablet, yes, I can create a profile but the function is only to save a "template" of my buttons, sensitivity, etc.
Changing between Wintab, Ink and activating/deactivating Subpixel doesn't help.

I have discovered a workaround for the Huion, if I press the side button of the pen first (right click/rmb) and then Alt (RMB+Alt), I can zoom in/out. It's not intuitive but does the work for now.
If I do Alt + RMB(side button of the pen) it gives the default windows background sound and does nothing. SOUND: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHtB0HW ... ndFile_Exe
With the Cintiq or with a mouse it works normally, Alt + RMB.

Thanks for the time and help, have a good day.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

aldomelendrez wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 13:09

Hello Dean, for sure, this is the config file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c538pN ... sp=sharing
Changing the TVPaint sound settings to these seems to have mitigated the crackling soundon my end:
aldomelendrez wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 13:09 I have discovered a workaround for the Huion, if I press the side button of the pen first (right click/rmb) and then Alt (RMB+Alt), I can zoom in/out. It's not intuitive but does the work for now.
If I do Alt + RMB(side button of the pen) it gives the default windows background sound and does nothing. SOUND: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHtB0HW ... ndFile_Exe
This is quite weird, since in TVPaint it is normally the contrary: pressing right click first will give priority to the eraser!
On your end, pressing ALT first seems to make the computer wait for you to press the combination for an OS shortcut (hence the Windows sound thing). It works normally on my end, so maybe a setting in the Huion driver could help.

About the spacebar thing, may I have see a screencap from your Shortcut settings, showing the spacebar's binding, along with a short video of the issue, please?
Probably a vampire
aldomelendrez

Post by aldomelendrez »

Dean wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 13:33
aldomelendrez wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 13:09

Changing the TVPaint sound settings to these seems to have mitigated the crackling soundon my end:
aldomelendrez wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 13:09 I have discovered a workaround for the Huion, if I press the side button of the pen first (right click/rmb) and then Alt (RMB+Alt), I can zoom in/out. It's not intuitive but does the work for now.
This is quite weird, since in TVPaint it is normally the contrary: pressing right click first will give priority to the eraser!
On your end, pressing ALT first seems to make the computer wait for you to press the combination for an OS shortcut (hence the Windows sound thing). It works normally on my end, so maybe a setting in the Huion driver could help.

About the spacebar thing, may I have see a screencap from your Shortcut settings, showing the spacebar's binding, along with a short video of the issue, please?

Thanks for the help, Dean.

I tried changing the sound configuration, it remains the same (you can hear the glitchy/static audio in the video I'll attach in this answer).

About the tablet, yeah, for some reason only when doing Alt + RMB on the pen it doesn't work. If I do Alt + Left Click on the pen I can move the canvas normally, or only pressing RMB on the pen will function as eraser, so that specific combination is not working.

Here's the video about the playback issue, as you can see it doesn't matter where I have the playhead, it will move some frames ahead and start playing from that point. Only when the playback is set at the initial frame it will play normally.

Screenshot:

Thanks again!

Aldo
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

I was able to reproduce the issue with playback, so it is now part of the to-do list :)

Regarding sound : could you post a screenshot of your sound timeline and of your "Project information" window from the "Project" menu, please?

Also, is the sound issue the same whether your press Space to play or click the Playback button?
Probably a vampire
aldomelendrez

Post by aldomelendrez »

Dean wrote: 26 Jun 2023, 09:33 I was able to reproduce the issue with playback, so it is now part of the to-do list :)

Regarding sound : could you post a screenshot of your sound timeline and of your "Project information" window from the "Project" menu, please?

Also, is the sound issue the same whether your press Space to play or click the Playback button?

Great, thank you!

SOUND TIMELINE

PROJECT INFORMATION

I get the exact same result using Spacebar to play or pressing the Playback button.
And by the way, about the newest version that was released on May 3rd, by any chance do you know why it doesn't work in my PC? It freezes and closes automatically when I open any of my projects and playback through spacebar or the button.
I went to the previous version (downloaded on April) and it's the one I'm using to continue working, but I'm wondering what might be the issue for the updated version to crash.

Thanks again, Dean.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, could you embed the audio dependencies in the project file and send it to me via PM, please?

Regarding the second issue, it should be resolved by resetting your TVPaint's configuration: https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?t=15100
Probably a vampire
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

After opening your project myself, I am still unable to get the audio issue :( Next time this happens, please send me your config.ini so I can open your project with it.
Probably a vampire
aldomelendrez

Post by aldomelendrez »

Okay, right now I reset the config file and for now everything works fine, when it gets bugged again (I hope not), I'll post in here the config file.

Thanks for the help, Dean.