TVPaint Converter 1.1.0

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

TVPaint Converter 1.1.0

Post by D.T. Nethery »

A few things about the TVPaint Converter-

1.) I can not resize the window of the TVPaint Converter. Please make the window resizable. (on my main screen, Cintiq 21UX , the TVPaint Converter window does not fit the width of the screen, but extends off the screen.)

2.) Please add option to use the native Mac file requester for those of us using this app on MacOS.

3.) The TVPaint Converter seems to take a long time to open. The icon bounces in the Dock for a long time , then it will finally open. Is there a way to improve it so it loads faster?
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 8.04.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 8.04.29 AM.png (39.65 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

4.) trying to open large .TVPP files crashes the TVPaint Converter. I have a 5.2 GB project I wanted to export using the Converter while I continued to work in TVPaint , but I have been unable to open this project file in the TVPaint Converter. I've also tried a 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project . Those also crash the Converter upon trying to load those projects. TVPP files that are 2GB or less seem to open with no problem, but larger than 2GB crashes the Converter.

5.) Please add the Publish option to the Converter so that multiple storyboard projects can be published as PDFs as a batch process via the Converter rather than having to open each storyboard project manually and publishing separately one at a time.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: TVPaint Converter 1.1.0

Post by Thierry »

Hello David,
D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:141.) I can not resize the window of the TVPaint Converter. Please make the window resizable. (on my main screen, Cintiq 21UX , the TVPaint Converter window does not fit the width of the screen, but extends off the screen.)
I do agree that the minimal size is a bit too big.
This is something I'd like to be improved in the future, for macOS but also for Windows.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:142.) Please add option to use the native Mac file requester for those of us using this app on MacOS.
I'd also like this, we'll see what we can do.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:143.) The TVPaint Converter seems to take a long time to open. The icon bounces in the Dock for a long time , then it will finally open. Is there a way to improve it so it loads faster?
That's odd, I did a test on a fresh install, it took 5 seconds to open, and my computer has no SSD.
Matthieu tested on his iMac, and it was indeed a bit longer than opening TVPaint, but only 2 or 3 seconds longer.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:144.) trying to open large .TVPP files crashes the TVPaint Converter. I have a 5.2 GB project I wanted to export using the Converter while I continued to work in TVPaint , but I have been unable to open this project file in the TVPaint Converter. I've also tried a 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project . Those also crash the Converter upon trying to load those projects. TVPP files that are 2GB or less seem to open with no problem, but larger than 2GB crashes the Converter.
I loaded a 5,5 Gb file in the Converter, and I was able to convert it. Same for Matthieu on his iMac.
Can you tell me if you have an error message, and what are the dimensions of your project?
D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:145.) Please add the Publish option to the Converter so that multiple storyboard projects can be published as PDFs as a batch process via the Converter rather than having to open each storyboard project manually and publishing separately one at a time.
That's planned for the next major version of TVPaint.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 22 May 2023, 10:58
D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:143.) The TVPaint Converter seems to take a long time to open. The icon bounces in the Dock for a long time , then it will finally open. Is there a way to improve it so it loads faster?
That's odd, I did a test on a fresh install, it took 5 seconds to open, and my computer has no SSD.
Matthieu tested on his iMac, and it was indeed a bit longer than opening TVPaint, but only 2 or 3 seconds longer.
I am running the version of the Converter downloaded with TVPaint 11.7.1 (released May 3, 2023). I wonder if I should reinstall the Converter ?
As it is now, it hangs for about 20 - 30 seconds (with the icon bouncing in the Dock) before it opens. If it opens in 5 - 8 seconds on your end then
obviously something is wrong. with mine.

D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:144.) trying to open large .TVPP files crashes the TVPaint Converter. I have a 5.2 GB project I wanted to export using the Converter while I continued to work in TVPaint , but I have been unable to open this project file in the TVPaint Converter. I've also tried a 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project . Those also crash the Converter upon trying to load those projects. TVPP files that are 2GB or less seem to open with no problem, but larger than 2GB crashes the Converter.
I loaded a 5,5 Gb file in the Converter, and I was able to convert it. Same for Matthieu on his iMac.
Can you tell me if you have an error message, and what are the dimensions of your project?
There is no error message; the Converter crashes immediately upon trying to load a .tvpp file larger than 2 GB. The dimensions of the 5.2 GB project are 5200 x 3072. The 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project have dimensions of 4096 x 3072. The other projects (2GB and under, which load with no problem) are also 4096 x 3072.

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:56I am running the version of the Converter downloaded with TVPaint 11.7.1 (released May 3, 2023). I wonder if I should reinstall the Converter ?
We did tests with this version as well, so you don't need to reinstall it.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:56As it is now, it hangs for about 20 - 30 seconds (with the icon bouncing in the Dock) before it opens. If it opens in 5 - 8 seconds on your end then obviously something is wrong. with mine.
Okay that is definitely not normal at all.
What are your Mac's specs? How many cores does the processor have?

Thierry wrote: 22 May 2023, 10:58There is no error message; the Converter crashes immediately upon trying to load a .tvpp file larger than 2 GB. The dimensions of the 5.2 GB project are 5200 x 3072. The 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project have dimensions of 4096 x 3072. The other projects (2GB and under, which load with no problem) are also 4096 x 3072.
Hmmm...
About the projects that cause a crash, do they have video dependencies or not?
I don't know if you can do it, but if you could send me one of the projects that causes a crash, that would help us a lot.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 23 May 2023, 09:13
D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:56I am running the version of the Converter downloaded with TVPaint 11.7.1 (released May 3, 2023). I wonder if I should reinstall the Converter ?
We did tests with this version as well, so you don't need to reinstall it.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:56As it is now, it hangs for about 20 - 30 seconds (with the icon bouncing in the Dock) before it opens. If it opens in 5 - 8 seconds on your end then obviously something is wrong. with mine.
Okay that is definitely not normal at all.
What are your Mac's specs? How many cores does the processor have?
Specs : MacOS 12.6.2 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:56There is no error message; the Converter crashes immediately upon trying to load a .tvpp file larger than 2 GB. The dimensions of the 5.2 GB project are 5200 x 3072. The 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project have dimensions of 4096 x 3072. The other projects (2GB and under, which load with no problem) are also 4096 x 3072.
Hmmm...
I don't know if you can do it, but if you could send me one of the projects that causes a crash, that would help us a lot.
No video dependencies .

I sent you a PM with a link to download one of the files that causes the crash.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 May 2023, 12:33
D.T. Nethery wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:56There is no error message; the Converter crashes immediately upon trying to load a .tvpp file larger than 2 GB. The dimensions of the 5.2 GB project are 5200 x 3072. The 3.7 GB project and 2.5 GB project have dimensions of 4096 x 3072. The other projects (2GB and under, which load with no problem) are also 4096 x 3072.
Hmmm...
No video dependencies .

I sent you a PM with a link to download one of the files that causes the crash.

Hi, Thierry,

Did the 5 GB TVPaint file I sent you crash the Converter when you tried it?

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hi David,

Yes, the project causes a crash on our side as well.
We don't know why yet, but Guillaume is working on it.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 08:48 Hi David,

Yes, the project causes a crash on our side as well.
We don't know why yet, but Guillaume is working on it.
Thank you for confirming. Thank you to Guillaume for investigating further. On my end files over 3 GB tend to make the Converter crash (not only the 5 GB file I sent you for testing purposes).

For now I will just make sure my files are 2 GB or less when using the Converter.
2 GB or less seem have no problem. However, I just tried a file that is 3.23 GB, so just a bit over 3 GB , and it worked .

------

I've been doing some further testing this morning and I think I have discovered a clue that you may find helpful: the files that crash seem to be files where there are composite layers rendered from the Multiplane Camera or Keyframer . However, a .tvpp file of equal size (in GB's) , but which has all the Animation and Background/Overlay elements on separate layers (not composited to a single layer) seems to have no problem being exported by the Converter.

More testing: I created some large files (over 5 GB) to do more tests. The crashing doesn't happen with every large .tvpp file (5 GB's or more) that has composite layers rendered from the Multiplane Camera or KeyFramer . I thought I was on to a clue which might provide the answer , but now I am still mystified about why some of my larger files crash the Converter. :?