Is there a way to export instance heads only and omit empty timing exposures?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
swiftsketcher

Is there a way to export instance heads only and omit empty timing exposures?

Post by swiftsketcher »

For example, I would only like to export the instances with actual changes in drawings below (highlighted in green), but not the exposures that are for timing only:

Is it possible to export as PSDs or even JPGs this way?
D.T. Nethery

Re: Is there a way to export instance heads only and omit empty timing exposures?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

swiftsketcher wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:00 For example, I would only like to export the instances with actual changes in drawings below (highlighted in green), but not the exposures that are for timing only
Yes. Export > Clip Layers Structure > JSON . Make sure you check the box next to Ignore Duplicate Images.

This will export only the heads , not the exposures.

TVPaint_Export_only_Heads.png
TVPaint_Export_only_Heads.png (45.23 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

If you prefer JPG instead of PNG , switch it to JPG -

TVPaint_Export_only_Heads_as_JPGs.png
TVPaint_Export_only_Heads_as_JPGs.png (65.88 KiB) Viewed 1917 times

Or the other option (if you don't need the JSON file to import the images to After Effects or some other app) is simply Export > Clip Layers Structure > Named Images.

This requires that the Images have a name. In this case I've attached the prefix BN_ to each instanced on the Timeline.

TVPaint_Named_Images_on_Timeline.png
TVPaint_Named_Images_on_Timeline.png (26.79 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
TVPaint_Export_NAMED_IMAGES_heads_only.png
TVPaint_Export_NAMED_IMAGES_heads_only.png (41.95 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 25 Apr 2023, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
swiftsketcher

Re: Is there a way to export instance heads only and omit empty timing exposures?

Post by swiftsketcher »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:19
swiftsketcher wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:00 For example, I would only like to export the instances with actual changes in drawings below (highlighted in green), but not the exposures that are for timing only
Yes. Export > Clip Layers Structure > JSON . Make sure you check the box next to Ignore Duplicate Images.

I tried this, but it exports the instances individually, separate from the other layers. I would like to export the instances with the layers intact (similar to exporting Clip: Layers Structure, as a sequence) but only on the instances with changes, or at least with the flattened image with all layers visible for that instance. When I select "Ignore Duplicate Images" for the Clip: Layers Structure, it still exports with the duplicates, which is confusing. I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any help.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

swiftsketcher wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:27

I tried this, but it exports the instances individually, separate from the other layers. I would like to export the instances with the layers intact (similar to exporting Clip: Layers Structure, as a sequence) but only on the instances with changes, or at least with the flattened image with all layers visible for that instance. When I select "Ignore Duplicate Images" for the Clip: Layers Structure, it still exports with the duplicates, which is confusing. I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any help.

When I export with 'Ignore Duplicate Images' it will export the heads only.
Which version of TVPaint are you using ? I'm using 11.7.1 .

I would like to export the instances with the layers intact (similar to exporting Clip: Layers Structure, as a sequence) but only on the instances with changes, or at least with the flattened image with all layers visible for that instance
I'm not sure I understand how that would work.

swiftsketcher

Post by swiftsketcher »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:36
swiftsketcher wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:27

When I export with 'Ignore Duplicate Images' it will export the heads only.
Which version of TVPaint are you using ? I'm using 11.7.1 .

I would like to export the instances with the layers intact (similar to exporting Clip: Layers Structure, as a sequence) but only on the instances with changes, or at least with the flattened image with all layers visible for that instance
I'm not sure I understand how that would work.

Yes, I am running the latest version.

So here is a clearer example of what I want: I only want to export the green columns, with layer data intact and visible:

So essentially only three frames exported with all layers visible. Frame 1 only has the number 1 visible, Frame 2 has 1 and 2 visible, and frame 3 has 1, 2, and 3 visible.

When I export with .json (my settings below)

I get this file structure, and as you can see, it separates each instance as a separate images isolated from the other layers:
(the three is by itself, and the other visible layers with the numbers 1 and 2 have put into separate images in the other folders)

When I try to export with a PSD sequence (my settings below)

It outputs every single frame, including the "duplicates" where nothing changes:

I don't want the frames in red exported:

The red highlights are the duplicates I don't want. I just want the remaining three exported, all layer data intact. But nothing I try in the exports settings achieves this. The example above is simple, but the project file I need this for is thousands of frames long with hundreds of separate instances across 10 layers. Eliminating the duplicates by hand, or getting rid of the timing exposures to then just output the instances without the held exposures is extremely time consuming and prone to error. I wish I could only export the individual frames where changes on the display are present.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Would this work for what you want ?

Here's the original scene set up -
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 9.05.36 AM.png
Duplicate the clip -
duplicate clip 1.png
duplicate clip 1.png (31.17 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
duplicate clip 2.png
duplicate clip 2.png (24.5 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Now in the duplicate clip change the exposure to this:
change exposure on duplicate clip.png
change exposure on duplicate clip.png (37.07 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Export -
export.png
export.png (80.07 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Which results in these exported frames:
exported frames.png
exported frames.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

Although it does not satisfy all your wishes, I have created a panel that exports the composite state of all layers on a frame-by-frame basis with a single button.
Try the attached panel.
ExportFrame_230426.png
Attachments
ExportFrame_220606.tvpx
(226.5 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020