How to "Open With" TVPaint on Mac ?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

How to "Open With" TVPaint on Mac ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

On Mac if you right-click on a file you get a menu with the option "Open With" , which allows the user to select any suitable application to open that kind of file.

So for example, if I right-click on an image file , .jpg, .png, .tif, etc. I'll be presented with a list of apps that could be selected to open it (such as Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Sketchbook, Krita, etc.) but I never see TVPaint as an option on the "Open With" list of applications and I cant figure out how to add TVPaint to the list. It's like TVPaint is invisible to the Mac, as if it doesn't exist.

Does anyone know how to add TVPaint to the "Open With" list (and keep it there) ?
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 1.58.11 PM.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Re: How to "Open With" TVPaint on Mac ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 19:08 On Mac if you right-click on a file you get a menu with the option "Open With" , which allows the user to select any suitable application to open that kind of file.

So for example, if I right-click on an image file , .jpg, .png, .tif, etc. I'll be presented with a list of apps that could be selected to open it (such as Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Sketchbook, Krita, etc.) but I never see TVPaint as an option on the "Open With" list of applications and I cant figure out how to add TVPaint to the list. It's like TVPaint is invisible to the Mac, as if it doesn't exist.

Does anyone know how to add TVPaint to the "Open With" list (and keep it there) ?

I found this on the Apple Support forum:

"You can't edit the Open With list, it is created by the system by polling all your installed applications for their list of files that they can open. If a program claims it can open jpegs, it is added to the list. If it lacks a notification file for the system to read it won't be added. There is nothing you can do about either situation--you can't add, subtract nor rearrange the list."

So apparently there is no way for the user to add TVPaint to the Open With list unless TVPaint has a notification file for the system to read whether it is capable of opening certain types of files (jpg, png, tif, bmp, mov, mp4 , etc ) It would seem that this notification file for the operating system is something that TVPaint Development would have to add to TVPaint.

Could someone from TVPaint please confirm whether or not this can be done on your end , so that TVPaint can appear on the Open With list ?

Joost

Post by Joost »

You can "right click" on the file, then choose "Get info", Scrol down to "open with", select "other" and find TVPaint (maybe you have to click "enable all"), after you selecte TVP, you see a checkbox below that says "change all". Check this box and it should work. Or was this not what you meant?

Best,

Joost
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Oh wait. The first time I hit the "enable all applications" TVPaint became visible, from being invisible before. But the second time I tried it, it stayed invisible... And I can't make it visible again. This must be a Mac or TVP bug?...

But with some files I succeeded the way described.
And now after a couple of attempts, if I hit the "enable all applications, it was still half transparent but when I tried to click on TVP it was possible to select it...

This is a bit strange.
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Post by Joost »

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 11.05.15.png
Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 11.05.15.png (85.27 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Here you see it was possible to select it...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 21:22Could someone from TVPaint please confirm whether or not this can be done on your end , so that TVPaint can appear on the Open With list ?
It looks like we can do something about it.
We'll have to run some tests to see how far we can go, I'll keep you updated :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Joost wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 10:01 You can "right click" on the file, then choose "Get info", Scrol down to "open with", select "other" and find TVPaint (maybe you have to click "enable all"), after you selecte TVP, you see a checkbox below that says "change all". Check this box and it should work. Or was this not what you meant?

Thank you. I did know about this option in Get Info. The only drawback is if I designate a file to be opened by "Other" (TVPaint) and then "Change All" it means that every type of that file (.jpg or .png or whatever ) will now be opened by TVPaint by default, which is not exactly what I want. I want the option to click on the file , and choose Open With.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 11:09
D.T. Nethery wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 21:22Could someone from TVPaint please confirm whether or not this can be done on your end , so that TVPaint can appear on the Open With list ?
It looks like we can do something about it.
We'll have to run some tests to see how far we can go, I'll keep you updated :)
Thank you.

Joost

Post by Joost »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 14:54
Joost wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 10:01 You can "right click" on the file, then choose "Get info", Scrol down to "open with", select "other" and find TVPaint (maybe you have to click "enable all"), after you selecte TVP, you see a checkbox below that says "change all". Check this box and it should work. Or was this not what you meant?

Thank you. I did know about this option in Get Info. The only drawback is if I designate a file to be opened by "Other" (TVPaint) and then "Change All" it means that every type of that file (.jpg or .png or whatever ) will now be opened by TVPaint by default, which is not exactly what I want. I want the option to click on the file , and choose Open With.
Ah, right! Now I understand. You want it to be in this top list. Makes sense.
TVP Pro 11.7.1