pencil / charcoal

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
paultoonz

pencil / charcoal

Post by paultoonz »

hello everyone.

i was wondering if anyone has come across a great pencil / charcoal brush that can give you a really effective feel of drawing on paper (visually)
if youve seen kaguya hime, by studio ghibli.. youll have an idea of what im looking for...
ive tried trawling the site, and cant even begin to transfer a pencil from procreate to tvpaint... but if anyone has successfully done that ive love to hear any advice as well..
thanks!
slowtiger

Re: pencil / charcoal

Post by slowtiger »

I have tried lots of brushes over the years, but none was perfect. A good result is a combination of the right brush and the right paper. I recommend to do your own style on paper, then analyse it and try to build something close in TVP. I rarely use any brushes from elsewhere, my favourite ones are all self-built, as well as my paper.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

paultoonz wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 09:07
i was wondering if anyone has come across a great pencil / charcoal brush that can give you a really effective feel of drawing on paper (visually)
if you've seen kaguya hime, by studio ghibli you'll have an idea of what i'm looking for...
So this is the line quality you are looking for , right ? -

tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-2013-015-kaguya-catching-cherry-blossom.jpg
tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-2013-015-kaguya-catching-cherry-blossom.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
kaguya_1.jpg
kaguya_2.jpg
kaguya_3.jpg
Kaguya_4.jpg
Kaguya_4.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 4495 times

I can't even begin to transfer a pencil from procreate to tvpaint
Is there a specific pencil tool in Procreate that reproduces the line quality you are searching for ? It's true that the Procreate brush format will not transfer directly to TVPaint (or vice versa) , but if you can note the parameters of the brush in Procreate it may be possible to reproduce it in TVPaint with some trial & error testing. (but Procreate's brush system has more parameters for adjustment than TVPaint's so it's not always possible to precisely duplicate a brush, but you might get it very close)

Do I recall correctly that for 'The Tale of Princess Kaguya' the animators drew with pencil on paper , then the drawings were scanned for digital coloring ? If that is the case , part of the challenge is reproducing the look of real pencil on paper with a digital brush. The simplest way to get that line quality would be to draw on paper and scan the drawings, rather than try to reproduce that look with a digital brush. Many digital "pencil" brushes get very close to simulating the look of real pencil, but the spontaneity of the line drawn with pencil can be challenging to reproduce.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
paultoonz

Post by paultoonz »

hey thank you both for your replies and advice!
ill see if i can try some trial and error approach with paper and pencil brush, paper is something i hadnt considered with tvpaint yet actually, strangley enough, so a great tip there!

and yeah, the kaguya hime examples are the kind of pencil im looking for, i think some come quite close, but often lacks that final quality of roughness...
your spot on about the fact its probably better to draw on paper and then scan in, absolutely... and in most cases id love to do that (will probably do part of the work this way) but was also thinking if theres also an in software solution...

probably my favorite pencil is "the general" in procreate, which i think i got from "lane draws" set from the stan prokopenkos website... ultimately i guess its that i can use the side of the brush and vary the width, breath as if a real pencil which draws me more towards the ipad... but of course, for work... and animation... a trusty cintiq and tvpaint seems still to be the place to be! (^ _ ^) i will take the advice and try to check parameters and see if i can imitate it a bit closer...

thanks again, and lovely to see the kaguya hime pictures up!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Here's some of my pencils, try them and analyse. Most are made from several bitmaps. They fit my drawing habits: very light pressure, but getting real fat fast. I mostly use the "noisy hard" paper, 100% size, 50% hardness.
pencil_examples.tvpx
(767 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
paultoonz

Post by paultoonz »

thats wonderful, thank you so much for sharing!
the paper texture is something id not really considered before, so thats a whole new world already!