Eraser power baed on alpha of the lines being erased

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
cwellems

Eraser power baed on alpha of the lines being erased

Post by cwellems »

I'm trying to create an eraser that simulates the way I use eraser on real paper.

When animating with paper and pencil, I draw a few extremely faint lines before placing the dark final line. Then to clean up the drawing I rub the eraser gently over the faint lines and they come away easily. The dark lines might get rubbed a little too but they very little darkness.

I'd like to create an eraser in TVPaint that applies more power on pixels that have a low alpha, and less power over pixels with high alpha, so my faint layout lines will be reduced without accidentally rubbing away too much of the final line too. Will this require a script or is there some other way to make such a tool?
slowtiger

Re: Eraser power baed on alpha of the lines being erased

Post by slowtiger »

I don't know how thick or black your lines are but you should try the "erode" effect on this one first.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Re: Eraser power baed on alpha of the lines being erased

Post by D.T. Nethery »

cwellems wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 09:14 I'm trying to create an eraser that simulates the way I use eraser on real paper.

When animating with paper and pencil, I draw a few extremely faint lines before placing the dark final line. Then to clean up the drawing I rub the eraser gently over the faint lines and they come away easily. The dark lines might get rubbed a little too but they very little darkness.

I'd like to create an eraser in TVPaint that applies more power on pixels that have a low alpha, and less power over pixels with high alpha, so my faint layout lines will be reduced without accidentally rubbing away too much of the final line too. Will this require a script or is there some other way to make such a tool?

In this pencil set posted in the Contents Sharing forum there are four "kneaded erasers" that will do what you want. viewtopic.php?p=99263
File is Crayons.tvpx

TVPaint_Crayons_Pencil_and_Eraser_Set.png
TVPaint_Crayons_Pencil_and_Eraser_Set.png (26.2 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1