What drawing device do you use with TVPaint?

To talk about anything else

Wacom Intuos Tablet or equivalent
23%
Wacom Cintiq or similar
57%
Traditional paper and scanner
13%
iPad Pro and Apple Pencil or equivalent
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

Does everyone here use some form of Cintiq or equivalent?
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
slowtiger

Re: What drawing device do you use with TVPaint?

Post by slowtiger »

I animate almost exclusively with Cintiq, but create textures and brushes and stuff on paper to import to TVP.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

o0Ampy0o wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 06:42 Does everyone here use some form of Cintiq or equivalent?
I primarily use a Wacom Cintiq with a Mac Mini , but if I'm away from home I use iPad Pro 12.9 connected to my Macbook via the Astropad app. Occasionally I have used a Wacom Intuos Pro 5, but not much since I have had the iPad. The only thing I miss about the Intuos Pro is the Express Keys. The Astropad app has it's own shortcut express keys (buttons in a sidebar) that function in a similar way, but not as versatile as the Wacom express keys.

I will mention that in the past I have used TVPaint with pencil on paper animation by scanning the animation drawings through an Auto-Document Feed scanner and then using the Peg Holes Registration function in TVPaint to register the drawings and running the Scan Cleaner to remove the white pixels of the scanned paper. Or make a pencil test by using a webcam mounted on a downshooter (copy stand with a peg bar) and the Video Input function in TVPaint to capture drawings. (currently Video Input doesn't work in TVPaint running on MacOS higher than Catalina -- works fine in older versions like Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra -- but I hope they can fix the Video Input.)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
qinfen

Post by qinfen »

You will not draw better on a Wacom Cintiq than on a small Wacom Intuos, it’s just a comfort thing. Screenless tablets are used professionally by tons of people.
If you can’t afford a tablet with a screen I about 100% recommend you get a screenless tablet. It takes a few hours of getting used to but I promise it’s quick and easy.
I would recommend Wacom tablets like the Intuos but Huion or XP-Pen tablets are also decent and about half the price.
iPad and similar tablets like surface pro or samsung galaxy tab work great, but you’re limited to the portable tablet’s own processing power and battery life.
Check out this: https://pctechtest.com/best-animation-tablets
Hope that was clearer!
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

qinfen wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 03:02 You will not draw better on a Wacom Cintiq than on a small Wacom Intuos, it’s just a comfort thing.
Well, in my case, I do draw better on a Wacom Cintiq , and yes it is a "comfort thing". For me, comfort is not an inconsequential matter when drawing 8 hours (or more) a day. I also draw better sitting in a comfortable chair at an adjustable height/tilt drafting table than sitting in a hard wooden chair drawing on the flat surface of my kitchen table. Could I draw sitting in a wooden chair at my kitchen table ? Yes. Do I want to or is it the most comfortable and efficient way to work for 8 hours (or longer) every day ? No.

But if you are more comfortable working on a small Wacom Intuos tablet, that's great for you. Carry on.

qinfen wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 03:02 Screenless tablets are used professionally by tons of people.
Yes, that's true. I wish I was one of them. If I could get the same results (with the same speed and same comfort of working) using a less expensive screenless tablet I would do so.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Markxu

Post by Markxu »

I used to use intuos, until I start to animating seriously and I realized that drawing on cintiq is so much faster.
Mark.Mou