TVPaint export to JSON, will not cancel export with ESC key

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

TVPaint export to JSON, will not cancel export with ESC key

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I started to export a project to JSON format (for import to After Effects) but just after I hit the Export button I remembered a layer I forgot to include. So I hit Cancel ...nothing happened ... then I pressed the ESC key. No response . TVPaint is stuck at only 1% exported and I have no way to cancel the export except to Force Quit TVPaint. (OR I can wait it out for 20 minutes , 30 minutes ... maybe 45 minutes to see if TVPaint gets "unstuck", but I'm on a deadline and need to submit this file. UPDATE: ok, in this case I decided to wait ... after 27 minutes TVPaint finally cancelled the Export and I did not have to force quit.)

This has happened before several times when attempting to cancel an export to JSON format , but today I remembered to report it.

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 5.05.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 5.05.17 PM.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 5.06.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 5.06.22 PM.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Re: TVPaint export to JSON, will not cancel export with ESC key

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Bumping this up.

Can anyone from TVPaint confirm this problem of ESC key not canceling export to JSON , requiring Force Quit
(or to wait a very long time for TVPaint to finally respond to the ESC command and stop the export process) ?
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 11 Jan 2023, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Hi David!

Thank you for bringing this issue up: I have made some tests and I was able to replicate this problem. I will log it into our bug list.
Could you please give me the size of the project you were trying to export to JSON?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Matthieu wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 09:18 Hi David!

Thank you for bringing this issue up: I have made some tests and I was able to replicate this problem. I will log it into our bug list.
Could you please give me the size of the project you were trying to export to JSON?
4K - 4096 x 3072 .

-----

Here is something else that might be useful in tracking down the problem:

I mentioned in a different thread -- viewtopic.php?p=131521 -- another issue that I have noticed with the JSON export is that sometimes the Progress Bar jumps to 100% (finished), but in fact the exporting process is still in progress, it is not finished. Although the progress bar shows as 100% , the progress bar does not close and TVPaint is essentially frozen until the export finishes. 15 - 30 minutes later (depending on the size of the file being exported) the export process will finally finish and TVPaint unfreezes.

In the other thread I wrote my observations about this behavior:
After having this happen again today (progress bar for JSON export at 100% , but TVPaint is seemingly frozen , then unfreezes after waiting around 25 minutes) I am wondering if the problem is with the progress bar ? The progress bar advances to 100%, which leads the user to believe that the export has been completed ,but in fact the export process has not really finished yet and will take another 20 - 30 minutes to completely finish. So the issue is that the progress bar needs to show a more accurate status of the export progress and not jump to 100% if the export is not actually finished yet.

Indeed, now I can confirm this behavior with the progress bar. I turned off all layers except for one layer. (the entire scene has 28 layers) This one layer has 145 images. I checked the box for export Visible Layers only. When I clicked on Export the progress bar only took about 30 seconds to reach 100%, but in fact the export of the 145 images took another 12 minutes to be completed. So there is a problem with the progress bar. It advances to 100% before the export process has completely finished.

So there are two issues with JSON export:

1.) If the user decides to cancel the Export it is not possible to cancel using the ESC key.

2.) Other times the Export progress bar advances too soon to 100% , indicating that the export has been completed, but it is not actually completed.

Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

I confirm those two problems have been logged in our bug tracking tool.
Could you also please give me the size of the project file you were trying to export when encountering issue n°1 (the [ESC] key not cancelling the export)?

Thank you!
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Matthieu wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 15:13 I confirm those two problems have been logged in our bug tracking tool.
Could you also please give me the size of the project file you were trying to export when encountering issue n°1 (the [ESC] key not cancelling the export)?
4K - 4096 x 3072 .

Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Sorry I may not have been clear: I meant the file's size in MB or GB.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Matthieu wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 09:06 Sorry I may not have been clear: I meant the file's size in MB or GB.
The issue has occurred with more than one file.

One of the files was 501.8 MB . The other was 2.4 GB

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Bump.

Any progress on fixing these two issues?

1.) Not possible to cancel the JSON export using the ESC key.

2.) Export progress bar advances too soon to 100% , indicating that the export has been completed, but it is not actually completed.

These are crippling problems with the JSON Export. (especially the first problem) I was unable to stop an export today using the ESC key and it cost me two hours of dead time just waiting for the export to finish before I could work again in TVPaint. (Force quitting TVPaint was not an option in this case because I was afraid to lose work on this scene which had taken many hours to accomplish)