Can Flips go only one way?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
BinaryD00D

Can Flips go only one way?

Post by BinaryD00D »

I've been trying to get the flips to go only one way in timeline, but they always come back! I remember you could do this in TVP10, so that it plays only a part of the video. It's really distracting that you have to see the segment you want to playback a second time in reverse. Is there no way to do this in TVP11? I really only want for the shortcut to flip the amount of frames I choose and then go back to where it started without fliping through the same frames in reverse.

There are a few things like this I prefered in TVP10... like, for some reason some brushes lag in 11 and not in 10, and I prefered the rooms to be 1 click away and not 2 clicks away. But I make due. The flipping thought, is kind of important.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Can Flips go only one way?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

For switching between Rooms I would suggest using the keyboard shortcuts. This seems fastest for me.

I actually can't remember what was the difference in version 10 in terms of what you're talking about the Rooms being "1 click away" vs. "2 clicks" in the current version .

About the Flips direction: I don't know. The way I have mine set up is to simulate the traditional "rolling" forward and back between drawings, so for me I want to see it in reverse . I am usually only flipping (rolling) between short sections of drawings as I'm inbetweening, so if I want to see a longer section (or the whole scene) in one direction I just use the playback button or Basic Directional Flip.

Again, I'm a bit hazy on how it was in TVPaint 10 because I've been using 11/11.5 for so long. I do have a copy of TVPaint 10 on my old laptop , so later today I'll try to take a look to remind myself.

What you want is to flip through all the drawings and then the cursor immediately jumps back to the start position instead of rolling over all drawings in reverse to return to the start , is that correct?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
BinaryD00D

Re: Can Flips go only one way?

Post by BinaryD00D »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 16:26
About the Flips direction: I don't know. The way I have mine set up is to simulate the traditional "rolling" forward and back between drawings, so for me I want to see it in reverse . I am usually only flipping (rolling) between short sections of drawings as I'm inbetweening, so if I want to see a longer section (or the whole scene) in one direction I just use the playback button or Basic Directional Flip.

Again, I'm a bit hazy on how it was in TVPaint 10 because I've been using 11/11.5 for so long. I do have a copy of TVPaint 10 on my old laptop , so later today I'll try to take a look to remind myself.

What you want is to flip through all the drawings and then the cursor immediately jumps back to the start position instead of rolling over all drawings in reverse to return to the start , is that correct?

that's exactly it! I used to use it all the time in TVP10, but the frames rolled in reverse in TVP11 became sort of a nuisance and I found myself not using flips much.

What do you mean by "Basic Directinal Flip"? Even the Basic Flips in TVP11 always roll back the frames in reverse

also for some reason if I press ENTER again while the playback is going it toggles bookmarks instead of stopping. I have nothing to toggle bookmarks set to Enter, yet it does that.