Problem using the KeyFramer

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Nm8rJay

Problem using the KeyFramer

Post by Nm8rJay »

Hi,
I'm on a Mac using Monterey OS 12.5, and TVPaint Animation 11.5.3 Pro.

I have a single drawn object on a layer that I want to move using the KeyFramer. I sourced the layer and applied keys for translating the object down and rotating it. When I preview the animation, I see two images of the object, one that remains in the original position, and a second one that moves down the way I want it to. I only want to see the image that's moving. I can tell that both images are on the same layer by hiding and revealing that layer. When I apply the FX stack and export a video I still see the 2 images of the same object. I've attached a video of my animation.

In the Source tab in the KeyFramer, I have Pre Behavior and Post Behavior set to None and Anim set to Normal. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Jay
Attachments
Key Test2.mp4
(723.74 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Jay
Mac OS 10.11.6
64 bit
TVP Pro 11
slowtiger

Re: Problem using the KeyFramer

Post by slowtiger »

It is recommended to always use the keyframer on an empty layer only. This way you 1. avoid to destruct some previous work, and 2. you now can set the source level to invisible or a low opacity value.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Use your single object (the key in your example) as a SOURCE image for the Keyframer, rendered on a different layer. The Keyframer's source image can be a layer , or in the Image Library , or a separate TVPaint project.

Create a new blank layer. In the Keyframer go to the Source tab. Set the source to your image in the Image Library , or on a layer , or a separate TVPaint project. Now set your keyframes for the move and click Apply FX Stack to render the move on the new blank layer. The original source image remains unchanged so you can re-do and re-render the move later on a new layer if for some reason there need to be changes made.
Source in TVPaint Keyframer.png

Image(s) stored in the Image Library Folder as source in Keyframer:
Image Library as Source in TVPaint Keyframer.png
-----------

The source image in the Keyframer can also be an object that you have selected and cut to a Custom Brush.

Custom Brush as Source in TVPaint Keyframer.png

This tutorial briefly demonstrates how to create a Custom Brush from an object in TVPaint and set a custom Pivot Point handle on the brush, save the new Custom Brush to a Custom Tool Panel , then go into the FX Stack -- KeyFramer , and set the KeyFramer SOURCE as the Custom Brush. You can then Keyframe the Angle to animate the object pivoting from the custom pivot origin point that you set on the Custom Brush. (no voiceover instructions , but click on CC to turn on the Captions to see text instructions.) https://youtu.be/0nJ-34uQIYo

(if you want to view this in Full Screen mode
you must click through to view it on YouTube)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

David: Judging by this detailed, crystal-clear explanation on using the KeyFramer FX (and the dozens of other, precision "how-to" replies you've posted to the forums) you must be a very good teacher! When is your book coming out? :D

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Nm8rJay

Post by Nm8rJay »

David, Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!
Jay
Jay
Mac OS 10.11.6
64 bit
TVP Pro 11