export .mov TVPaint 32bit mac

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
markorel

export .mov TVPaint 32bit mac

Post by markorel »

Bonjour,

Je dois exporter un projet en .mov pour passer en post production sur un projet assez long. D'après ce que je comprends ce format n'est pas recommandé sur la version mac 64k, j'ai essayé de télécharger la version 32k (toujours pour mac) mais sans succès. J'obtiens le message suivant : "Une erreur interne [1394]..." Y a-t'il moyen de remédier à cela?
La personne chargée de la postprod n'a pas l'air enchanté de travailler à partir d'un avi, si toutefois je ne pouvais pas faire autrement la meilleure solution est-elle bien de choisir le mode RVBA ( non prémultiplié)?

Merci d'avance !

Marc-Aurèle
https://versini.info
D.T. Nethery

Re: export .mov TVPaint 32bit mac

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hi, Marc -

Depending on which Mac operating system you are using the 32bit version of TVPaint (with Export to Quicktime .MOV) may no longer be supported. I think starting with Catalina Apple no longer supports 32bit apps (such as Quicktime Pro 7 , with the full array of Quicktime codecs) , so you must use the 64bit version of TVPaint on Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey .

Using the 64bit version of TVPaint 11.5 you can export to .MOV (using FFMPEG .MOV codecs , not Apple Quicktime codecs, but they should be equivalent to Apple codecs for the purposes of placing the MOV files into Adobe Premiere or After Effects.)

Your choices are:

Lossy: ProRes (RGB - RGBA) which is equivalent to Apple ProRes 4444 codec , either in RGB mode or RGBA mode (with transparency).
Lossy: MPEG-4 (RGB mode only)
Lossless: PNG (RGB-RGBA) which is equivalent to lossless Apple Animation codec , in either RGB or RGBA mode (with transparency).

In my experience , ProRes 4444 is very high quality and has good color fidelity despite being designated as "Lossy". If you wanted to use Lossless codec
it should have excellent color fidelity, but will make the MOV file sizes larger.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 3.10.13 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 3.10.13 PM.jpg (28.16 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
markorel

Post by markorel »

Thank you so much David for your answer! and you took the time to translate my message, amazing,
I am so grateful to people like you, it make me feel like I am part of a community, in the very good sens of the word.
I am still using Mojave as OS, i don't want to update to 64bit for the moment, but i run the 64bit version of TVPaint, so i can follow your advice.
My concern was also about the fact that i cannot apperently downoad the 32bit version, but i doesn't seem to be necessary, so...i will try this way.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

markorel wrote: 07 May 2022, 00:34 My concern was also about the fact that i cannot apperently downoad the 32bit version
Oh, I see what you mean now . I looked on my TVPaint.com account and it seems that there is no longer an option to download the Mac 32bit version of TVPaint even if a user is still on an operating system such as Mojave or High Sierra which will run 32bit apps. I think maybe because Apple no longer supports 32bit apps since Catalina that TVPaint has also discontinued support for the 32bit version of TVPaint. (?) This makes sense because Apple stopped supporting Mojave on November 30, 2021 and stopped supporting High Sierra on January 31, 2021.

I am continuing to run Mojave for now because I still have a few 32bit apps that I use regularly , but I think the day is coming soon when I will have to update to the newer MacOS which does not support 32bit apps.

The export options in TVPaint 11.5 for MOV, MP4 , and AVI seem to be adequate. Before with the 32bit version of TVPaint 11 (and TVPaint 10) we had access to many different Quicktime MOV codec options for export , but I think in practical day-to-day use I only ever used three or four of those codecs in most cases (H.264 , Apple ProRes 422, Apple ProRes 4444, Apple Animation , sometimes Apple Intermediate) so the list of available FFMpeg codecs is shorter now (ProRes RGB-RGBA , MPEG-4 RGBA, and Lossless RGB-RGBA) but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

This list of codecs available in 32bit Quicktime certainly looks more impressive , but I rarely used more than three or four of these codecs.

Quicktime_Codecs.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1