Marker / Watercolor Brush

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
oscar

Marker / Watercolor Brush

Post by oscar »

I've been amazed by the amazing looks of Adrien Mérigeau "Genius Loci" and for parts of my thesis film I'd love to have a similar painterly effect. I wonder what the best way to go about it would be and if the TVPaint brushes could achieve such an effect?
Screenshot 2022-02-01 104749.png
here is the link to the video with more examples and how it looks in motion.

I've already tried to come up with a brush that could do the trick,
mainly from advise on this thread, but it still needs some fixing. I'll try to make it more rectangular later when I have the time. But there is maybe more that I need to consider? You can find it here:
Genius Loci Brush.tvpx
(274.5 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Genius Loci Brush Example.png

So if anyone has tips on how to better achieve this effect, what to change about the brush, or a workflow that would be smarter (!)
Please tell me (aussi en francais si vous voulez!)
Thank you very much! Merci!
oscar

Re: Marker / Watercolor Brush

Post by oscar »

Little update: I fooled around some more and came up with a different brush that already works a little better. But it's a little too tame now...
Screenshot 2022-02-01 191516.png
Genius Loci Brush v2.0.tvpx
(173 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

I feel there's still room for improvement! Hapyy for input how I can get closer to references like this:
Screenshot 2022-02-01 112018.png
Peter Wassink

Re: Marker / Watercolor Brush

Post by Peter Wassink »

Yes, its a great look. and a direct translation of the unique painting style of the amazing Brecht Evens, a belgian comic artist who creates the art for his books by layering gouache on paper.

i think you are already close with the brushes, and you mainly need to start playing around with layering and all the various blendmodes.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM