Reverse the recent changes in Timeline Shortcut behaviours

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
ChristopherC

Reverse the recent changes in Timeline Shortcut behaviours

Post by ChristopherC »

Hello,

I've noticed since updating TVPaint, the behaviour of the shortcut to go to previous / next instance has changed (same with the image marks:previous/next current colour). Before when using the shortcut you could keep the timeline moving outside of any created instances on that layer, whereas now you're locked to moving in whatever instances are already created. Is there a way to go back to the previous behaviour of the shortcuts at all? I've always found it intuitive to use the shortcut for quickly creating new keyframes, especially when animating straight ahead and passing back through already timed out frames on that layer without having to switch what keys i'm pressing just to create new frames.
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Reverse the recent changes in Timeline Shortcut behaviours

Post by Thierry »

Hi Christopher,

We changed that behaviour because the "Previous/Next instance" should go lead you to the Previous or Next instance, not outside the layer where there are no instances yet (and it some situations it even led you to negative images, which is part of the reason the behaviour changed).
Besides, you can use the left/right arrow (default shortcuts) to navigate outside the layer.
We do not plan on reverting this change.
same with the image marks:previous/next current colour
We tried with older versions and we were not able to reproduce that behaviour with the image marks shortcuts (even on v10 it doesn't work like this) :/
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
jmew1989

Post by jmew1989 »

Thierry wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 12:30 Hi Christopher,

We changed that behaviour because the "Previous/Next instance" should go lead you to the Previous or Next instance, not outside the layer where there are no instances yet (and it some situations it even led you to negative images, which is part of the reason the behaviour changed).
Besides, you can use the left/right arrow (default shortcuts) to navigate outside the layer.
We do not plan on reverting this change.
same with the image marks:previous/next current colour
We tried with older versions and we were not able to reproduce that behaviour with the image marks shortcuts (even on v10 it doesn't work like this) :/
Hi Thierry,

I know you had reasons to make that change, but why not give options to people since they already have a workflow and it can sometime be very crucial for them ?
I am an animator who also does a lot of FXs, and for Fast producing straight animation, I cannot switch tablet shortcut from "using Previous/next instance, then when arriving at the end using arrow key, then using previous instance".
Do you understand the hardship ? That actually pervent the "FLIPPING" while animating in straight, that is pretty much one of the main mecanism of animating.

Please do consider giving an option in a fix.

Thank you

PS. I could also use an older version of course, but for information, I chose to update to the newest so I get on the same page with teammates or other productions that use more "Layer color" for example, which made uncompatibility problem sometime.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

ChristopherC wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 06:58 I've noticed since updating TVPaint, the behaviour of the shortcut to go to previous / next instance has changed (same with the image marks:previous/next current colour). Before when using the shortcut you could keep the timeline moving outside of any created instances on that layer, whereas now you're locked to moving in whatever instances are already created. Is there a way to go back to the previous behaviour of the shortcuts at all? I've always found it intuitive to use the shortcut for quickly creating new keyframes, especially when animating straight ahead and passing back through already timed out frames on that layer without having to switch what keys i'm pressing just to create new frames.
As explained on the other topic created by Jmew : you have the possibility to choose.

Use "Layer: Go left" and "Layer: Go right" if you wish to navigate freely. (1)
Use "Go to next instance" and "Go to previous instance" to move between existing instances. (2)

By default with the latest TVPaint versions, (1) are assigned to left and right arrow and (2) are assigned to ctrl+left / right.
Capture d’écran_2022-02-09_13-00-42.png
Capture d’écran_2022-02-09_13-00-42.png (11.19 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

However if you already have an existing keymap it is not overwritten and thus, the new default keyboard shortcuts can't be set.
jmew1989

Post by jmew1989 »

Thanks for hoping to the other thread I opened, indeed the problem would be that we need the functions merged into "2 keys" so we don't play piano, even more because I use the hotkeys on my tablet !
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

jmew1989 wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 18:52 Thanks for hoping to the other thread I opened, indeed the problem would be that we need the functions merged into "2 keys" so we don't play piano, even more because I use the hotkeys on my tablet !
So I just pushed the 11.5.3 update. Please download it and let us know !
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

So I just pushed the 11.5.3 update. Please download it and let us know !

not the original user who requested it, but I tested the new patch just now and it's working for me. 👍
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

tribute27 wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 20:04 not the original user who requested it, but I tested the new patch just now and it's working for me. 👍