EBsynth a powerfull texturising (rotoscope)tool

To talk about anything else
D.T. Nethery

Re: EBsynth a powerfull texturising (rotoscope)tool

Post by D.T. Nethery »

To show I'm not entirely negative about the potential of this tool, here's an example of animation colorized and texturized with EBSynth that looks good to me.

https://twitter.com/Rafikisland/status/ ... 5689299968

Blender Grease Pencil for the animation + one Colored Keyframe + EBSynth by "Rafiki" (Rafael Cano Méndez)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, this is nice - has a distinct Ed Benedict vibe in the lines, and the colours remind me on the better ones of the watercolour cartoons in Playboy magazine before the 70's. (One has to look at the tweet to see the different parts!)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

A friend who I shared the link with was looking through the documentation about EBSynth on GitHub and noticed this:

EBSynth_License.jpg
EBSynth_License.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 21831 times

VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 19:38 A friend who I shared the link with was looking through the documentation about EBSynth on GitHub and noticed this:

EBSynth_License.jpg

So what would be infringing on their patent holding rights?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

VGmaster9 wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 15:34
D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 19:38 A friend who I shared the link with was looking through the documentation about EBSynth on GitHub and noticed this:
EBSynth_License.jpg
EBSynth_License.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 21764 times
So what would be infringing on their patent holding rights?

I don't know precisely what the implications could be , but the creator of EBsynth obviously thought it was important enough to post that warning.

I suppose if one used EBsynth for a professional (paid) project Adobe could reasonably demand that the user pay them a fee for using their patented technology.

VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

I watched the Lackadaisy animation today and found that Ebsynth was used for the production of this short. I asked what it was used for and this was their response.
Fable: Ebsynth helped with applying painting filters we created on to 3d animation. Clip Studio is for anything art.
It appears that this tool can be useful for making 3d animation blend in with 2d evironments.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

VGmaster9 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 01:31 I watched the Lackadaisy animation today and found that Ebsynth was used for the production of this short. I asked what it was used for and this was their response.
Fable: Ebsynth helped with applying painting filters we created on to 3d animation. Clip Studio is for anything art.
It appears that this tool can be useful for making 3d animation blend in with 2d evironments.
I noticed EBSynth was listed in the credits as one of the softwares they used. That's interesting to know how they used it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.35.33 AM.png

It seems that some of the animators used Clip Studio Paint to animate , although most used Toonboom Harmony. I was interested to see that at least one person on the team was using TVPaint, based on a screenshot of their production Discord server that appeared in a "making-of" documentary by one of the animators (Manu Mercurial) . The screen is blurred , but at the 10:22 - 10:42 mark you can see the TVPaint interface on screen.

TVPaint_in_Making_Of_Lackadaisy.png

VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 07:44 I noticed EBSynth was listed in the credits as one of the softwares they used. That's interesting to know how they used it.

It seems that some of the animators used Clip Studio Paint to animate , although most used Toonboom Harmony. I was interested to see that at least one person on the team was using TVPaint, based on a screenshot of their production Discord server that appeared in a "making-of" documentary by one of the animators (Manu Mercurial) . The screen is blurred , but at the 10:22 - 10:42 mark you can see the TVPaint interface on screen.

I also asked what they used Clip Studio Paint for, and they said it was for "anything art".

And yeah, I like that other people used TVPaint to animate. It's great having multiple animation software being used in the same animation pipeline, it allows for a more diverse range of animators, whether it's with Harmony, TVP, or CSP.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

VGmaster9 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 15:07
D.T. Nethery wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 07:44 I noticed EBSynth was listed in the credits as one of the softwares they used. That's interesting to know how they used it.

I also asked what they used Clip Studio Paint for, and they said it was for "anything art".
When you asked about it , was that on a live stream or chat about the making-of Lackadaisy ? Is that available to view anywhere?

VGmaster9 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 15:07 And yeah, I like that other people used TVPaint to animate. It's great having multiple animation software being used in the same animation pipeline, it allows for a more diverse range of animators, whether it's with Harmony, TVP, or CSP.

Yes, even if everything ends up being colored in one program (such as Harmony) and final compositing in After Effects, for the line art stage -- rough animation and clean-up animation -- the software can really be whatever the animator prefers as long as they deliver the line art drawn on-model and in the line style established for the production in an image format that can be imported into any program (transparent PNGs or TGAs) . The recent Brazilian feature "Perlimps" was animated in Photoshop, Harmony, and TVPaint. I know at least two animators on "Klaus" who worked in TVPaint , even though the main program used was Harmony. I worked on a production a couple of years ago where almost everyone worked in TVPaint, but a few people used Harmony. We just imported their drawings in to TVPaint as transparent PNG image sequences. It was seamless. Then after applying the coloring in TVPaint it all ended up in After Effects for final composite. With rigged puppet animation productions everyone must use the same rigs , the same software , so that is not an option, but with hand drawn animation if the animator can stay on-style/on-model with their drawings it allows for a wider range of software choices depending on the animator's preference.

VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 15:53 When you asked about it , was that on a live stream or chat about the making-of Lackadaisy ? Is that available to view anywhere?
In the Youtube comments, under the same name of mine as here.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 07:44 Yes, even if everything ends up being colored in one program (such as Harmony) and final compositing in After Effects, for the line art stage -- rough animation and clean-up animation -- the software can really be whatever the animator prefers as long as they deliver the line art drawn on-model and in the line style established for the production in an image format that can be imported into any program (transparent PNGs or TGAs) . The recent Brazilian feature "Perlimps" was animated in Photoshop, Harmony, and TVPaint. I know at least two animators on "Klaus" who worked in TVPaint , even though the main program used was Harmony. I worked on a production a couple of years ago where almost everyone worked in TVPaint, but a few people used Harmony. We just imported their drawings in to TVPaint as transparent PNG image sequences. It was seamless. Then after applying the coloring in TVPaint it all ended up in After Effects for final composite. With rigged puppet animation productions everyone must use the same rigs , the same software , so that is not an option, but with hand drawn animation if the animator can stay on-style/on-model with their drawings it allows for a wider range of software choices depending on the animator's preference.

Yeah exactly. Since Harmony is the industry standard, it would be entirely necessary to it as the main production tool for vectorization, inking, and coloring for the whole animation process. On top of Harmony, TVP, and CSP, there's another new animation software called Animation Paper, which is a successor of Plastic Animation Paper. There could be a new amount of animators who can also use that and have their linearts imported over to Harmony in different projects.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

VGmaster9 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 17:29
D.T. Nethery wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 15:53 When you asked about it , was that on a live stream or chat about the making-of Lackadaisy ? Is that available to view anywhere?
In the Youtube comments, under the same name of mine as here.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 07:44 Yes, even if everything ends up being colored in one program (such as Harmony) and final compositing in After Effects, for the line art stage -- rough animation and clean-up animation -- the software can really be whatever the animator prefers as long as they deliver the line art drawn on-model and in the line style established for the production in an image format that can be imported into any program (transparent PNGs or TGAs) . The recent Brazilian feature "Perlimps" was animated in Photoshop, Harmony, and TVPaint. I know at least two animators on "Klaus" who worked in TVPaint , even though the main program used was Harmony. I worked on a production a couple of years ago where almost everyone worked in TVPaint, but a few people used Harmony. We just imported their drawings in to TVPaint as transparent PNG image sequences. It was seamless. Then after applying the coloring in TVPaint it all ended up in After Effects for final composite. With rigged puppet animation productions everyone must use the same rigs , the same software , so that is not an option, but with hand drawn animation if the animator can stay on-style/on-model with their drawings it allows for a wider range of software choices depending on the animator's preference.

Yeah exactly. Since Harmony is the industry standard, it would be entirely necessary to it as the main production tool for vectorization, inking, and coloring for the whole animation process. On top of Harmony, TVP, and CSP, there's another new animation software called Animation Paper, which is a successor of Plastic Animation Paper. There could be a new amount of animators who can also use that and have their linearts imported over to Harmony in different projects.

Animation Paper will be good, I think. But I hope he finally has a finished version of Animation Paper to release sometime soon! (it's been in beta test for YEARS ...)

Rough Animator can also export to Harmony (and After Effects).

Callipeg will export to TVPaint, Harmony, and After Effects.

o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

VGmaster9 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 17:29Since Harmony is the industry standard, it would be entirely necessary to....
You quoted an ad campaign verbatim.

Has that perception come directly through experience in the field or though literature, (i.e. online ads, forum posts, newsletters, print/online magazines, etc.)?

I see it parroted word for word in all contexts. It makes me skeptical. When it is in the form of news or an announcement in an industry magazine I think the writer and/or the publication is on the dole or the writer is not well-versed on the industry and says such things attempting to sound informed.

I would avoid quoting ad campaigns verbatim unless ad campaigns are the topic.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro