first impressions

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
malcooning

first impressions

Post by malcooning »

Downloaded the new demo. So far it looks amazing. congratulations. Particularly the additions to the brush engine are glamorous!
and my interface is already shining with new colors. feel like a kid with a new toy...

I don't know if you are ready for feedback, so I'll hold remarks back until you tell you are interested in them...

One thing though, I have a problem, and I'm not sure if it's only here on my computer or within TVPaint:
When I use my pen, the 'right click' does not seem to open the right-click-menus. When I switch to my mouse, the right mouse button opens the menus. So I figured it's something with the pen. I checked again, and the right click button on the pen seem to work when I use it for erasing recent brush strokes. So this tells me that my pen's button works, only the right-click-menus don't respond to it.

did anyone else experience this?
fabrice_

Post by fabrice_ »

I don't know if you are ready for feedback, so I'll hold remarks back until you tell you are interested in them...
Fell free to post your remarks, we are waiting for them !!! :D

Fabrice Debarge / Beta-Team member / Author of the user-manual.
djm99001

Pen right-click issue

Post by djm99001 »

First, let me say that I am also giddy with all of the new options--way more than I expected!
But I also am experiencing the unresponsive pen right-click--which means I can't zoom with ALT+rt.click+drag, etc.

Thanks,
David
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Thank you for this quick first impression. Feel free to post what you want to say. All remarks can help us to improve the software.
We will fix the right-click problem with pen tomorrow.
Ex TVPaint Team
ZigOtto

Re: first impressions

Post by ZigOtto »

malcooning wrote:... When I use my pen, the 'right click' does not seem to open the right-click-menus.

well, supposing you are in Tablet Subpixel=On mode,
have you tried to right-click (with the pen's latteral button)
and press on the tablet (I mean "real contact") in the same time ?
(like a "right+left" click)

here, the right-click works as far as I have a nib-contact on the active area of the tablet.
(which is somehow different from the previous version...)
when Subpixel=Off, it works like it always did before.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Yes Zig,
that's right. It is not a bug. Since you can draw with the "right button", you need to be in contact with the tablet to use the right click with the pen when you are in subpixel mode.
When subpixel is off it is different, you don't need to be in contact with the pen to achieve the right click. This difference is due to the Operating System.
Ex TVPaint Team
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

ZigOtto wrote:here, the right-click works as far as I have a nib-contact on the active area of the tablet.
(which is somehow different from the previous version...)
when Subpixel=Off, it works like it always did before.
you're right Zig. It's working the same here. Thanks you.
If it's meant to behave like this I just have to get use to it I guess. (not a big deal). But what's the cause for the change in behaviour? I mean, 'Subpixel' option existed in previous versions, no?

As well, I noticed that When Subpixel is ON, the cursor doesn't change when hovering above window borders. I can still drag and resize the project windows, but I won't get an indication via the cursor.
ZigOtto

Re: Pen right-click issue

Post by ZigOtto »

djm99001 wrote:... But I also am experiencing the unresponsive pen right-click--which means I can't zoom with ALT+rt.click+drag, ...
to zoom in/out with the stylus, Alt+Right-Click&Drag does work here .
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

malcooning wrote:But what's the cause for the change in behaviour? I mean, 'Subpixel' option existed in previous versions, no?
The "right button" is used in erase mode, so we need to have access to stylus informations like pressure/tilt/etc... and these are only available when the stylus touches the tablet.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

malcooning wrote:... But what's the cause for the change in behaviour?
well, Patrice started to answer you in his previous post.
afaik, the wacom access have been partly re-written, specially to make tvpa more "friendly" on tablet-PC,
... another new thing is that the wacom mouse does work now, on condition that you have set Tablet/ SubPixel=Off.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

ematecki wrote:The "right button" is used in erase mode, so we need to have access to stylus informations like pressure/tilt/etc... and these are only available when the stylus touches the tablet.
Got ya! So I guess I do have to get use to the new way of doing it. and yeah, I noticed that it affects zooming and panning with the Alt key too. Which is actually an even bigger adjustment...

Maybe someone can post a quick tutorial that sheds light on the differences with/without Subpixel turned on, who would benefit from having it on, and how it affects the tablet functions. I'm sure many won't find use for it. (I personally need it on always).
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

And I wanted to add I'm very impressed with the fact that now we have curves for each of the brush's properties!

well done!
malcooning

Color Picker issues

Post by malcooning »

I found a weird behaviour in the colour picker:

I click APen rectangle, and sample a colour. It shows the colour, and the Picker area changes to display the range of Hue range. I can draw with the colour I sampled then.
Then I try to pick a different shade from the Picker area, but instead the picker slider jumps to the position where it was before I sampled the colour (which changes the spectrum of colours in the Picker area).
See illustration below.
Attachments
color picker problem.jpg
color picker problem.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 29242 times
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

it looks like a bug ... good catch Malcooning!

I take this opportunity to draw your attention on the new Color Variations feature,
when you want to pick a darker or lighter color around the current one,
or with more or less saturation, it could help as well . :wink:
Attachments
ColVar.png
ColVar.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 29224 times
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

This bug has been fixed and we are updating online trial. You will be able to download it in 1 hour.
I see you have customized your color interface Malcooning. I think it could be great to share it since now it is possible to export and import interface colors config. I have created a topic to do that.
Ex TVPaint Team