Subpixel check as a "global" preference

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

ramblindawg wrote:
PS...I agree that a global subpixel option would be nice for the future. I never seem to need it to be "off."
I agree..

Mikko
hisko

Post by hisko »

I'm quite sure that subpixel should be on by default. I have to work with brushes of clay heads (photographed from lots of angles), and it becomes tiresome to have to check the subpixel button every single time.
Also, new users who don't know what subpixel means will think that there is a bug in the program, when they see their brushes all scrambled.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hisko wrote:I'm quite sure that subpixel should be on by default. I have to work with brushes of clay heads (photographed from lots of angles), and it becomes tiresome to have to check the subpixel button every single time.
weird, if your brushes are stored with subpixel option ON, you should be able to recover them with subpixel = ON,
do you have the "Keep" option enable in the [Tool : Cut Brush] window ?
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I know that in this case its not about stored brushes.
its about the picking of new brushes.

if you pick up a brush the default setting should always be subpixel ON.
because this is the behavior that is expected in the majority of cases.

Keep does not do the trick in this case because it keeps all the settings (like angle etc)
because this is not wanted there should be a separate way of defaulting the subpixel setting
Last edited by Peter Wassink on 09 Nov 2007, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Tantalus wrote:Hisko doesn't store his brushes so the trouble lies in picking up new brushes.

if you pick up a brush the default setting should always be subpixel ON.
because this is the behavior that is expected in the majority of cases.

Keep does not do the trick in this case because it keeps all the settings (like angle etc)
because this is not wanted there should be a separate way of defaulting the subpixel setting
yes, but once stored in the brush bin, the subpixel ON option is respected
when you pick it again, there's something I miss in your workflow ... :?
nevermind.
I'm basically agree with setting the default value of this option in the user's preference panel.
and the same for other default settings, ... such as preview =ON/OFF of the fxstack .
User should be the King in his kingdom, not a servile valet! :wink:
hisko

Post by hisko »

Hi Zigotto,

The thing is, I'm talking about thousands of photo's from clay heads, that I use as 3d models for 2d animation, so that I don't have to make complicated 2d modelsheets.
So it's useless to store them as brushes. I have a quicktime of all the photo's and I scroll through the video untill I find the right angle of a head.
Than I make a brush from it and put the head (brush) on the body (after scaling and rotating it).
Everytime I do that I have to check the subpixel box, which I forget a lot.
It's hard to explain, but when I have time I'll post some of those photo's.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hisko wrote:... Than I make a brush from it and put the head (brush) on the body (after scaling and rotating it). Everytime I do that I have to check the subpixel box, which I forget a lot.
just curious,
you pick the head (as new brush) from where ? have you another project open as "heads bank" ?

and what tool do you use to cut the brush ? magic wand ? rectangle ? free cutbrush ?
hisko

Post by hisko »

Yes, sir, I work with a completel head-bank.
I just filmed around clay heads so I have them from all sides and angles, and than I import that quicktime as a project. It sounds more complicated than it is, and although I never heard anyone else do it this way, I'm sure that especially realistic animation benefits from this.
You know how all the Disneyheads all look the same nowadays. That's also due to the fact that they have to be constructed (I think).
Making a head in clay first, gives a lot of freedom later on. I don't have to spend lots of time getting the proportions and form right, because it's already there.
The photro is just a photo I made from all the heads together, but I work with a quite sloppy video, and I cut the heads out very sloppy and fast, because it really only serves as reference material.
Attachments
duncan.jpg
00 model 1 hoofdentotaal.jpg
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

amazing!
:D

about your heads bank, are they in 32bit, I mean already with transparency around them?
are they in grey tones ? and how do you mix them with the color layer ?
you say "just as reference"? do you meam you redraw all over the ref, like rotoscoping?

oh, and which cut brush tool do you use to cut them ?

here's a Rectangle CutBrush Tool which should preserve SubPixel ON :
(see attached Zip file)
put the george file there > C:\Program Files\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\george\cutsubon.grg
then load the .bin file as a new Custom Panel, it should work.
Attachments
CutSubOn.zip
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 1182 times
hisko

Post by hisko »

Thanks a lot,

I'll try the brush as soon as I am in my studio again.
You are right, I'm sort of rotoscoping the clayheads, so the heads are only for reference, I just cut them out with lots of space around them and not in 32bit, but just a very sloppy cut, with the selection tool.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Ok,
in that case, draw your selection with the freehand selection tool,
then click the second button (scissor) to cut it as new custom brush.
subpixel option should stay on. :)
Attachments
cut_subpixON.png
cut_subpixON.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 28025 times
CutSubPixOn.zip
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 1142 times
hisko

Post by hisko »

ZigOtto,
Thanks again, I'll use it tomorrow!
hisko

Post by hisko »

Hi again ZigOtto,

I'm so sorry, I didn't tell you the right thing. I use the freehand brush tool (I keep mixing all those terms), so thanks for the effort, but now it's two steps again
1. selecting
2. pushing the scissor button.

What I would like tvpaint to do is that when I use the free-cutbrush, the subpixelbox is on allways, so it's only one step and not two steps.
mox

Post by mox »

As ZigOtto wrote above if the 'keep' button is checked, you should have 'subpixel' always on, if not I don't quite understand...

And just to add my 2 cents on the subpixel off/on subject, personally I'd tend to be in the other school (the-subpixel-off-by-default school :] ) because I want perfect copy of the brush as it is in the project (clean cut & sharp) and having the possibility to 'alter' the display of the brush after choosing 'subpixel'... and if I need to repeat a same modification to a couple of brushes, well, the 'keep' button does its job :wink:

Very nice set of heads and clayver way to work! :mrgreen:
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Tantalus wrote:...
and this is not wanted, there should be a separate way of defaulting the subpixel setting
:wink:

the 'two schools' situation is a fact.
both schools have a valid point... therefore this situation is best served by having a subpixel default option (in the preferences)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM