Subpixel check as a "global" preference

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hisko wrote:... I scroll through the video untill I find the right angle of a head.
Then I make a brush from it and put the head (brush) on the body (after scaling and rotating it).
OK, so why not to use the Scale, Rotate and Reset tools from the B.E.T.v1.1 custom panel ?
(this new version preset the subpixel option ON),

or, better, assign each tool-button to your wanted shortkeys.
hope it will help, this time. :)
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

When sub pixel off is needed? I really think that most of the users want to keep it ON as a default. And those who want it off can check the box- I think keeping it off is the advanced thing.

M.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

elmisilhumano wrote:When sub pixel off is needed?
mox wrote:because I want perfect copy of the brush as it is in the project (clean cut & sharp) and having the possibility to 'alter' the display of the brush after choosing 'subpixel'...
M. i agree that OFF is more used by advanced users and therefore default should be ON.
still... why not put the choice also in the preferences?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
mox

Post by mox »

When sub pixel off is needed?
Well everytime you don't want to alter "too much" the brushes since subpixel's about smooth/blur.
To be honest if I need to rotate + resize a brush, most of time, I go for the 'edit brush' panel (using AAliasing of course) rather the subpixel, because AAliasing is less blury that subpixel.

Anyway, it's always about the resolution of the current project, 'graphic style' , etc. so it's difficult to decide but yep, as Tantalus wrote, a choice in the preference should please everybody (the 2 schools :D )
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
Svengali

Subpixel box checked - not checked

Post by Svengali »

When I check the global subpixel box (in preferences) it seems to disable my drawing ability to erase by pressing the pen-switch while pressing the pen tip. But with Subpixel preference box unchecked, pressing the pen-switch while pressing the pen tip erases just as it always did.

I'm asking because Paul F. tells me his pen-switch erasing functions the same way whether the global subpixel box is checked or unchecked.

For this to work in my case... are there some other settings I need to adjust (installing the latest Intuos3 tablet driver did nothing... are there other drivers I need to check?)

Anyone else have this problem who then solved it?

Truth is, with Mirage, I'd gotten along well without the subpixel option - but now, in TVP, I would like to see how invoking subpixel resolution might change the look of my drawn and erased lines.

Sven
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Subpixel check as a "global" preference

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

the 'two schools' situation is a fact.
both schools have a valid point... therefore this situation is best served by having a subpixel default option (in the preferences)
I agree with Peter, but I'd like to add to this a suggestion that the subpixel button be taken out of Preferences and placed within the general area of the GUI. It would be ideal to have as a key command choice too.

EDIT:Actually the most logical placement would be within the Preview settings panel.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Svengali

Re: Subpixel check as a "global" preference

Post by Svengali »

Is there a George command for toggling subpixel on/off when a cutbrush is selected?

EDIT: Nevermind! Found the answer in an earlier entry in this thread. In my SDK and George docs the Subpixel argument isn't mentioned under tv_BrushRestore Command...