Is there a way to uniquely identify a clip in a new session??

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
spyderheart

Is there a way to uniquely identify a clip in a new session??

Post by spyderheart »

I am looking for a way to unambiguously identify a clip between project sessions - using only george.

The clip ID is useful within any given project session. However, all the clip ID's are different the next time you open your project (with good reason I am sure). This makes it hard for george to be sure that a given clip is the same clip it was looking at in a previous session.

I'll try to give a simple example:

Say I want to point a script to specific clip so that from then onward, when I push a custom button with the script, it counts the images of that clip and displays a message "Clip has [N] frames" (N is number of images).
Now, the name, position, scene, etc.. of the clip can all change within a session, not to mention it could get duplicated - but I always want the original clip to be identified and counted.
For this reason I just need to store the unique clip ID in the user string and have my script look it up whenever it runs.

This will work without fail for a single session of a project... but next time I open my project, the clip ID i had stored in the userstring will have no meaning - since all the clip ID's have changed.

This means that when i re-open the project, george does not have access to any unique information about the clip that it can be certain has not changed since the last time the script ran.

Is there any other clip info that we can get through george that can help us identify a clip with certainty between two sessions? For example, a clip creation time-stamp might work since this is something about the clip that would never change after it is created.

David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home