Question regarding brushes.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
mkrokes

Question regarding brushes.

Post by mkrokes »

Hello everyone:
I am new in the forum as I have just discovered (or beginning to discover) TVPaint wonders. I came across this animation:
http://www.aniboom.com/Player.aspx?v=2359

..and I heard it was done in TVPaint, does anyone know how they managed this? I am going for something similar in a short film I am directing and animating.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

maybe i'm wrong...[i probably am!] but looks to me like a 3d animation in the first place with 'some' hand painted textures then the rendered frames look to have been painted on with tv paint or something similar...
the end cannon scenes look to be different and were probably painted over video/film footage rather than 3d renders.

love the animation btw...thanks for the link!

steve g
A1

Post by A1 »

there was a discussion about this animation on the mirage forum;
and i believe it was stated that it was entirely or for the greater part made in mirage (tvpaint7.5)
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

I think that what wanted to know mkrokes is which tool (with settings) was used to achieve this animation.
Else this animation was realized with TVPaint 7.5 (Mirage).
Ex TVPaint Team
mkrokes

Post by mkrokes »

I will check the Mirage forum but I am sure there must be a way of doing this in TVPaint, I just wonder if anyone out there knows of any approach...
Thanks for the answers guys.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

i think big parts of the animation where done in 3D and then painted over in mirage
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
A1

Post by A1 »

ah, the settings... there i have no clue. Play around with the brushes is
the only advice i can give. The painterly effect is very possible.
tvpanim brushes---new and improved.

edit:

i watched the short again and most of it IS handdrawn animation.
Apart from the canon-scene which could be rotoscoped from 3d or live footage the only 3d i could spot where props like the flag, bullets ,skypainting dice,..
If the animation is done directly into tvpaint i don't know but it certainly could have been. The paint texture could, i suppose, be regenerated after some fooling around with your brushes. The brushes used with the cannon scene
i would not know, it almost looks a bit like a photoshop filters, but it's hard to tell from a low quality internet film.
The backgrounds could be scanned drawings, or not. Hope this helps more then my previous post...
sury rony

Post by sury rony »

nope none of the theories.
it's the simple pen brush in mirage. :D those guys were students and one of them a friend from animation department(bezalel-i wish they'd listen to me and switch to tvpaint).i gave them tech advices about mirage.
no roto or 3d or else , just good painters who actually took the time to sit and learn how to paint with real paints and brushes before they wielded a wacom.
mirage,penbrush tool,2 guys, no roto or 3d...kinda cool.maybe you ought to ask where to learn and not what to download :D
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

sury rony wrote:... maybe you ought to ask where to learn and not what to download :D
haha!... good point sury rony! :wink:
mkrokes

Post by mkrokes »

Thanks guys for the info.
I am pretty good at painting, have been doing it for many years so I dont think that will be much of a problem, the problem for me is to find the right settings for getting the right brushes. Knowing IT IS Mirage is a great help. I am sure now that TVPaint can do it, is just a matter of trying and trying until I get the right settings for the brushes.
Thanks for the help guys,
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Hello Michael,

since you also send me a private mail regarding this subject i'll try and give you some more thoughts on this subject.

First...i am not a painter like Ariel Belinco and Michael Faust are, so maybe you should try contatc them for details on their workflow.
i believe Asaf Agranat is from the same school as them, he might have an idea how to contact them, besides he is also a very good digital painter so he could tell you some tricks himself.
(not sure if Asaf is a forum member but check this link: http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540 )

my experience is that for getting a painterly effect you can use the airbrush or penbrush and connect both size and power to pressure, also make sure opacity is not set to 100 this way different strokes will blend in varied ways, so the surface doesn't fill even but ends up with a lot of structure thats is the result from multiple strokes.

one invaluable tool to help you vary the colors is Marc Chongs Perceptual Palette, this has a tool that lets you mix the current A color with the colors on the project, the tool can be activated with a single keystroke and makes for very quick color mixing, ideal for painting.

finally.
The new Custombrush options allow for much more sophisticated brushes.
One new feature that is particularly usefull for painting is when you create a brush and make sure its color spectrum includes a full greyscale, because you can then have customized color variation with each stroke. When you set the custombrush's colormode to LumaStamp the brush's white pixels will aplly the current A-color and the brush's black pixels will apply the current B-color.

i'll share an example of such a paintbrush in the content sharing section of the forum: http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6193#6193
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM