Canon Plugin

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
masterchief

Canon Plugin

Post by masterchief »

I use Nikon D40 digital SLR camera... are there any plans to develop Nikon plugin with similar functionality of Canon plugin???? can this be accomplished???
I use Camera Control Pro 2 to interface my notebook with the Nikon as it looks very similar to what you are trying to accomplish with the Canon plugin and TVP

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Mandalaholic

Re: Canon Plugin

Post by Mandalaholic »

Speaking of canon plug ins. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a method to automate taking shots for time lapse sequences. Its monsoon season here and enormous thunderheads can develop in within an hour. I'm not even sure if any software can snap the shots for you, or if it a must to do it manually. My video camera does not offer this option. Sorry Master chief, not trying to crash your thread, but I figured the question fit in with this topic.
Howdy Yaaaal!
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

Camera Control Pro 2 has TOTAL control over the camera based upon camera mode setting... if in manual, it controls every setting. The shots are taken when you click button in the software

no problemo, How have you been?

regards,
William
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Mandalaholic wrote:Speaking of canon plug ins. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a method to automate taking shots for time lapse sequences. Its monsoon season here and enormous thunderheads can develop in within an hour. I'm not even sure if any software can snap the shots for you, or if it a must to do it manually. My video camera does not offer this option. Sorry Master chief, not trying to crash your thread, but I figured the question fit in with this topic.
yes, in the Canon utilities suite, you have Remote Capture Task,
in which you should be able to set a time lapse (in second),
and the full amount (nb) of frames . 8)

Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

Wow thats cool! I'm glad to know its a possibility. Thanks you guys!
I'm doing fine William. Hows that youngling? I cannot believe its been 10 months since you announced the birth. My my how time flies! getting any sleep yet?
Howdy Yaaaal!
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

everytime I enter the room he bursts out in excitement with great BIG smile... he has two his two eye teeth on top and the two middle teeth on bottom. He goes out at 7pm everynite... sleeps until 5am... He loves his mini-football :)

His name is Billy

than for asking,
William
D.T. Nethery

Nikon Plug-in ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

masterchief wrote:I use Nikon D40 digital SLR camera... are there any plans to develop Nikon plugin with similar functionality of Canon plugin???? can this be accomplished???
I use Camera Control Pro 2 to interface my notebook with the Nikon as it looks very similar to what you are trying to accomplish with the Canon plugin and TVP

regards,
William
I'm curious about this older request from William .

I'm getting inquiries from some students wanting to use their Nikon cameras for frame capture with TVP (for stop motion) .

Are there plans to develop a plug-in to use Nikon D80 or similar cameras in the Nikon line ? Is this possible ?

Keep in mind that I don't understand how the software works (I have no understanding of programming whatsoever ; I'm just a simple cartoonist) so what is being
proposed here may be ridiculously difficult to program or even impossible. What gives me hope is seeing that some applications like iStopMotion and Dragon Stop Motion have support for Nikon still cameras (and others) so it seems to me it is possible , but maybe unlikely until version 10 or ... ? But I think it never hurts to ask. :wink:
Fabrice

Re: Nikon Plug-in ?

Post by Fabrice »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
masterchief wrote:I use Nikon D40 digital SLR camera... are there any plans to develop Nikon plugin with similar functionality of Canon plugin???? can this be accomplished???

regards,
William
I'm curious about this older request from William .

I'm getting inquiries from some students wanting to use their Nikon cameras for frame capture with TVP (for stop motion) .

Are there plans to develop a plug-in to use Nikon D80 or similar cameras in the Nikon line ? Is this possible ?

Keep in mind that I don't understand how the software works (I have no understanding of programming whatsoever ; I'm just a simple cartoonist) so what is being
proposed here may be ridiculously difficult to program or even impossible. What gives me hope is seeing that some applications like iStopMotion and Dragon Stop Motion have support for Nikon still cameras (and others) so it seems to me it is possible , but maybe unlikely until version 10 or ... ? But I think it never hurts to ask. :wink:
Hello David,

You are right to ask, especially since the most used cameras are usually Nikon and Canon.
( I also have had such request from the Gobelin school in Paris, because they usually use Nikon. )

To do a such plug-in, we firstly need some explanations to answer the question : "how make the camera and the software communicate ?".
Those informations are mostly contained in the camera Development Kit. Without the Dev Kit, it's quite impossible to retrieve datas (images) from the Cameras and to put them into TVP Animation. Also, an other problem is (at least for Canon) that each new camera on the market seems to work slightly differently that the previous one, so the plug-in needs to be tested, and sometimes rewritten as soon as a new camera appears on the market. (not easy, because we can't buy every new material ...)
So it's not technically impossible, but it requires a lot of time and technical support.

At the moment, I asked several time Nikon about a Development Kit, but unfortunalety I had no answer. :cry:
The biggest deal (IMO) is not the development part, but how to find an interlocutor which can help regarding the Nikon/Canon Dev Kit.
(nobody on the phone, very few informations through internet forms, only vendors during festials ...)

Of course, TVP can use a few input video card such as "bluefish" cards, which will handle HD video or grab, but it's very pricy compared to a simple camera.
Fabrice Debarge