Keyboard Shortcut menu

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Happy Satan

Keyboard Shortcut menu

Post by Happy Satan »

Warning: This may sound like a really petty, whiny plea. If it does, I apologize, it's not my intention. I LOVE this programme, and i think its vague interface is an injustice to how great it is. I guess it's easy to overlook simple things like clear icons and accurate naming, when you're making a programme as great and functional as this. :) (btw, i haven't had time to study tvp 9, i just dled it today, but from an hour tinkering with it it does seem to have fixed some of the interface issues. it's looking good, less cluttered.)

Anyway. I dunno if this has been pointed out before. I looked through lots of shortcut-related threads here and have yet to see anyone discuss the HORRIBLY inconvenient interface of the shortcut menu. Maybe no one has spent so much time with it as I have, so this may well be a personal peeve...
Now, I don't mind the kooky default shortcuts because i like customizing my progs, so I change shortcuts all the time. It's how I learn progs, and it helps me feel at home in them. so I spend a lot of time tinkering with the shortcut menu. and DAMN IT, it's a headache to go through!

I'm sure it'd make things much easier on new users if this menu - and the others - were easier to navigate, with collapsible lists and clearer palette names. seriously - "Layer" is a sucky name for a palette that handles all your animation\timeline needs, BESIDES several other fields in the workflow. it can't be too hard to give these things clearer names, maybe break them down to more accurate categories. that amount of functions is a bit stupefying to look through just... spread out like it is.

Wish you guys all the best!
Peter Wassink

Re: Keyboard Shortcut menu

Post by Peter Wassink »

i agree with you that this menu can be a bit cumbersome to navigate, especially if you are new to the program and not familiar with the specific TVPA nomenclatura.
Also if you have added a substantial number of custompanels the list tends to become very long (because every button adds to the list)

You have to appreciate though that the list of commands has been steadily growing over many years. And where before the interface might have sufficed, it slowly has become a bit too simple to comfortably deal with the fast number of commands.

By the way I think this request was done before so i guess we have to practice patience and wait for the team to find the time to make the improvement.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
nelleyz

Re: Keyboard Shortcut menu

Post by nelleyz »

How should I get tree sap off my keyboard and mouse? Ok, well, I wanted to be brilliant and find something to do with the tree sap I got off or pine tree that was cut down yesterday. I went online to see what I could do with tree sap, and got a little bit on my mouse and keyboard. Any help on getting it off?