Natural Media

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Fabrice

Re: Natural Media

Post by Fabrice »

Sewie wrote:I've put them in a new panel and posted them anyway.
They are all based on the brushes by Malcooning. "Malc's brush pressure" is excactly the same as his but I only adjusted the pressure settings in the size-profile editor. the other three are my attempts, using an animated custom brush of my own making.
hey hey thanks !! :D
Fabrice Debarge
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Mike,

If you intend to reach natural-media look with your brushes, you need to, well, think like a brush:

1. In the brush that you posted you have scanned (or drew) several frames with elongated lines. Obviously, you wanted these brush strokes to be translated into brush strokes on the screen when put one after the other. But in fact what it creates, is a series of elongated lines, not more. A brush has hairs/fibers/bristles, and when dabbed once on a surface, it creates an area of dots (the ends of the hairs). When pulled across a distance, and given that the approximation between the dots is close enough, these dots will create elongated lines. A clever bristle brush is not made of a single bitmap of a brush stroke (like photoshop has it), nor from a series of bitmaps of brsh strokes (like in your brush) but it is more like a particle system, in which each of the dots (bristle tips) move in progression within the defined area of the brush. In TVP we don't have a particle system, but we can still create a simulation of this system by using frames in the brush. I will post an example when I have more time.

2. Let's assume that your brush can still work nicely, even with its elongated lines. Still, in your brush, the lines were pitched vertically. In this case, your brush will seem 'natural' only in absolutely vertical strokes (top to bottom and vice versa). In any other way, and particularly in absolutely horizontal strokes, you will get the hard edges you referred to, and you will get blocky areas where pressure remains unchanging. If you turn your brush 90 degrees, and assign it's connection to direction , you will get the brush always placed along the length of the elongated lines (see image).
Sewie's brush.jpg
Sewie's brush.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 16836 times
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

That's a real eye opener. Thanks, Asaf !
Last edited by Sewie on 21 Dec 2008, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Ahaaa!
Had to test this immediately. Did a cycle of 12 drawings with some more solid strokes moving in circles (but keep direction) and some lighter ones to fill the gaps. Fiddled with the tool settings until it looked right. Had to shorten the lines in order to avoid that "star effect" at the end of strokes. It is a bit slow, thankx to a step setting of 1,5 %. But I'm sure others will improve the idea soon.
pinsel1.tvpx
(148 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times
Have fun!
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

If you turn your brush 90 degrees, and assign it's connection to direction , you will get the brush always placed along the length of the elongated lines (see image).
Did you connect the angle's direction settings to "direction" ? Can you perhaps post a screengrab so we can see in what panel it's done ?
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

With the setting's like this, your brush makes a pretty convincing drybrush, Slowtiger!

malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Sewie wrote:
If you turn your brush 90 degrees, and assign it's connection to direction , you will get the brush always placed along the length of the elongated lines (see image).
Did you connect the angle's direction settings to "direction" ? Can you perhaps post a screengrab so we can see in what panel it's done ?
simply type "90" in the 'Angle' box (in the panel that you posted yourself just above), it will fix your brush at that angle, and the 'direction' will be set following this.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Ah, thanks.