Loop interpolation question

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Svengali

Loop interpolation question

Post by Svengali »

Here's something I've been bothered by for a time concerning loop interpolation.

Example.
Let's say I have a loop of 10 frames and I want it to be twice as long (20 frames). If I stretch it using standard interpolation, the result is indeed 20 frames long, but when played back displays an obvious lurch when the 20th frame cycles to frame 1. Each of the other frame pairs has been interpolated, but the transition from end to start (20 to 1) has not been interpolated.

I've played around a bit and discovered that simply copying the first frame and appending it to the end, THEN stretching (in this case to 21 frames), applying interpolation, and finally, deleting frame 21, gives me the necessary interpolation and a SMOOTH, seamless loop.

I then tried the same resolution when extending to non-multiple interpolation of frames, ie. 5 frames interpolated to 8. Apparently it works well in this case and any involving odd frame counts.

I was wondering if this is a common, known solution?

Would this "Loop" option (interpolation of end to beginning) be worth incorporated as a radio-button option in the "increase layer length" pop-up box in future TVPaint releases?

Sven
Peter Wassink

Re: Loop interpolation question

Post by Peter Wassink »

Svengali wrote: I've played around a bit and discovered that simply copying the first frame and appending it to the end, THEN stretching (in this case to 21 frames), applying interpolation, and finally, deleting frame 21, gives me the necessary interpolation and a SMOOTH, seamless loop.
indeed this is how to do it.
Not sure if its wise to add it as another option in the "increase layer length" pop-up box.
It might just add unnecessary option clutter
this current workaround seems logic and simple enough, but i'm speaking for myself here
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Tantalus wrote:indeed this is how to do it.
Not sure if its wise to add it as another option in the "increase layer length" pop-up box.
It might just add unnecessary option clutter
this current workaround seems logic and simple enough, but i'm speaking for myself here
I'm of the same opinion. the magic that brought me to TVP was the simple structure of the software, with which you can find many creative solution (even technically creative), and with you can make wonders.
just like a paintbrush do.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

A George script to do the same thing was simple enough to create. Problem solved.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Svengali wrote:A George script to do the same thing was simple enough to create. Problem solved.
would be nice if you could post it in the "content Sharing" forum
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

malcooning wrote: would be nice if you could post it in the "content Sharing" forum
Will do when I solve one nagging issue. :roll:

Sven