Instance Panel

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Paul Fierlinger

Instance Panel

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I thought instancing had everything to do with coloring a frame and having all instances of that frame colored as a result. After studying the Manual a bit and looking through some of the threads that feature "Instance panel" I'm not sure my presumption was correct.

It seems to be a tool to expedite timing. Am I correct? And if so, does TVPA have a feature for the instancing of coloring frames? I'm a bit in the dark here.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

It's main purpose is effectively timing.

If you select several layers (lines + coloring) and drag out an instance, it will be applied to all selected layers.

If what you mean is reusing the same frames elsewhere in the layer/project, no it doesn't do that.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

it does have a CL button which duplicates the timed('instanced') animation layer and makes it empty. This so you can use it to color or clean without having to manually set all the different instance lengths like you had them in the animation layer.

A tip for Paul regarding instances.
because you will be animating between individual instance heads as opposed to individual frames. it is useful to assign keys for flipping through them.

I myself use the buttons on my Intuos3 tablet for flipping instance heads and still have the arrow keys for flipping frames (which i hardly use anymore)

So depending on what you used to flip with before, consider changing those keys/buttons to flip instance heads instead.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I have a time tested, comfortable work flow honed out for myself and timing has never given me a problem. I don't see myself using this. It looks like something useful for traditional animation styles. This is one department in which I have never felt hindered.

Coloring instances is another matter and I am a bit surprised to see that this hasn't been dealt with yet. Is it in the works? So far, dhomas' Marker/Tracker plugin has worked well for us as a work around. I wonder how the majority of people here deal with this and how popular his plugin is.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet