selection cut brush

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
oliveuk

selection cut brush

Post by oliveuk »

hello, this has been a complaint from most of my friends when they used TV Paint for the first time. They always look for a tool that allows them to do a simple selection, cut, move as in Photoshop.

I am personally using Chads TabletPC toolbar and it is great for that but I would like to modify his button so by default it Cuts the selection instead of relying on the default TV Paint copy function.

I tried to do it myself but I am not too technically inclined .

Olive
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

use the Right-Mouse Button to Cut (and leave empty beneath) a brush,
or, with a stylus, press and hold the lateral button while you draw/cut the area as new brush.
Undo if you want to restaure.

the other way to cut with left mouse button, is to set the Tool : Cut Brush panel on "Cut" instead of "Copy".
Undo if you want to simulate the "Copy" mode.
8)

4-13 (p.87) of the manual :
You may:
* Create a brush by deleting at the same time the area in which it is located on the screen (Cut option in the popup menu).
:wink:
Attachments
CutBrush.png
CutBrush.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 21974 times
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

I am aware of the RMB thing but it doesn't seem to work on any version of TV paint I tried using a stylus.

I am using an Intuos3 stylus with 2 buttons on the side. The tip of the pen is the LMB. On the side, the bottom button is the MMB and the top button is the RMB (i am not talking about the button at the very top of the pen.

Like this basically Image

edit. I finally understood what the RMB thing. I kept trying to do a RMB on the icon instead of the drawing area..... hum I guess it s again one of those TV Paint interface quirks or I am just dumb.

I would prefer to have a CP instead anyway as right now going from drawing to moving stuff then drawing again requires the Main panel and the Tool panel to stay open at all time and those 2 panels are useless to me when I animate except for the cut button.

Any idea how to do that?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

oliveuk wrote:...
I would prefer to have a CP instead anyway as right now going from drawing to moving stuff then drawing again requires the Main panel and the Tool panel to stay open at all time and those 2 panels are useless to me when I animate except for the cut button.

Any idea how to do that?
the CP buttons from Chad's bar should work,
you just have to set the "cut" mode once, then it will be kept as far as you change it.
and you don't need to keep any panels open, except the Chad's bar, of course.
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

ah ah thanks Zigotto, I realised that the RMB using Chad's toolbar button was working too ;-)

anyway would still prefer to have a button that automatically go into cut rather than requiring a RMB or being setting it up everytime I start TV Paint. I don't even understand why the default function is stencil, I am an animator not a wallpaper pattern designer ;-)

Olive
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

oliveuk wrote:... I am an animator not a wallpaper pattern designer ;-)
basically, a good animator never cut or copy anything, ... he just draw !
:wink:

otherwise, when he needs to keep a part unchanged, he can freehand Select it
and "Cut to New Layer" it, then set the timing for the hold of the new layer.

btw, which Cut tool do you use ? the Rectangle Cut or the FreeHand Cut ?
... or both, alternatively ?
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

the freehand cut tool

looking at your comment above it looks like you have a different workflow than mine Zigotto... hum that s interesting.

Personally I just drag the tail of the previous drawing and modify that new cell which in turn creates a new drawing.

Luckily I will have a bit of free time starting next week end and I will eventually make a video on how I use TV Paint.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

when you need to "pick" (cut) a part of your drawing, you rarely get to surround it perfectly in once,
sometimes you have been too large, other times, you miss a thin part here and there, ...
so the tip is to freehand Select it (so you can tweak your selection in several times),
then, once the part you need to cut is precisely defined,
(the selection mark boundaries containing all the part, but nothing more),
you can hit a shortkey (or a CP button) to Cut the Selection,
destination Custom Brush or New Layer, depending your needs.
:)
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

if someone has any idea on how to create this CP I am still very interested. I already wasted 2 hours trying to do it to no avail. I even read the manual! :-)
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

ah ;-) I just needed 30 more minutes ;-)

This is what I came up with. I will add this button to my traditional animation toolbar in the content sharing section.

Olive
Attachments
cutnpaste.jpg
cutnpaste.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 21915 times
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

I showed this new button to my flatmate and he said:

"Ah finally!"

I am sure he won't be the first one
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

héhé... you've tamed the beast!