Questions on using masks in TVPAP

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Keep Shooting

Questions on using masks in TVPAP

Post by Keep Shooting »

Dear reader(s),

Although I have been using animationtechnics for some 15 years now, I am new in this program.
I am impressed with the possibilities, learning new things every day.

One thing I would like to use puzzles me for I couldn't find an answer in the manual or in this forum yet.
(A few days ago I posted a question on using masks in TVPAP on the "animation department", but it might be the wrong place for a question like this... )
So a second try in the "technical support" department.
I would like to make a timeline in which a photosequence can have a texture on a part of the immage.
I can't get past the point where using a mask in TVPAP effects all layers, instead of only the layer I want it to be in. Does a function like linked layermasks in Photoshop exist in TVPAP?
The solution I found for now is to make two different layermasks in Photoshop for each frame. But I wondered whether there is a quicker way to do this in TVPAP?
To illustrate what I am writing about I show you a screendump of a sketch...

Thanks for answering, regards, Conny
Attachments
Elfenbanktst-04.jpg
Elfenbanktst-04.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 15913 times
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Conny,

I'm not sure to understand ...
Maybe the preserve alpha option is enough for your needs ?
Attachments
preserve_alpha.jpg
preserve_alpha.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 15907 times
Fabrice Debarge
djm99001

More on masks/stencils...

Post by djm99001 »

How come, when I use the panning tool on a stencil layer (with the stencil turned on in the display settings), the stenciled version doesn't visually update until I've toggled the stencil box off and on? (or until I've chosen another layer).

I never would have expected so much out of the stencils if it weren't for ArtRage, but they've got a great model to chase.

David
Fabrice

Re: More on masks/stencils...

Post by Fabrice »

djm99001 wrote: I never would have expected so much out of the stencils if it weren't for ArtRage, but they've got a great model to chase.
Thanks for the info David, I will check Artrage about this.
Fabrice Debarge
Keep Shooting

a bit further into masks and stencils

Post by Keep Shooting »

Maybe the preserve alpha option is enough for your needs ?[/quote]

Thanks for pointing out this option, but it doesn't do quite show what I want to see in this case. Although it will make the workflow of some other idea's easier. (And I will keep the refresh of the stencil-layer in mind.)

I was trying to to create a stop-motion photographed tree with an animated semi-transparant skin of silver.
For any-one who is interested in this too, I dug a bit further into the masking-parade and found a solution:
-made 2 layermasks in photoshop to cut out the tree and the skin of the tree
-loaded the photoshopdocument as different layers.
-then joined the tree-layers as well as the skin-layers into an animationlayer.
-duplicated the skin-animationlayer in order to use the top-one as an animated mask and fill the second one with an animated brush of silver, using "source" out of the FXStack.

Hope I don't see this much more complicated then it needs to be - but the result looks beautifull ;-)

NB: I don't think there is a significant difference in painting layermask in Photoshops or painting a masked animation in TVP, but I simply work faster and more precise in making layermasks.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Conny,

Could you post some pictures or screenshots, please ? It would help us to have a better idea of the steps you have described above.
Fabrice Debarge
Keep Shooting

screendumps on using masks

Post by Keep Shooting »

Hi Fabrice,

Sure, no problem, here they are:
Attachments
SilverTree-photoshop.jpg
SilverTree-MaskFinallyAnim.jpg
SilverTree-MaskFinallyAnim.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 15745 times
very rough 3-frame test
very rough 3-frame test