Odd ERASER behavior in 11.7.2 Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Odd ERASER behavior in 11.7.2

Post by D.T. Nethery »

EDIT: The problem has been resolved in update to version 11.7.3 .

-----

I noticed a strange eraser behavior in 11.7.2 today -

In 11.7.2 I was using the PENCIL tool to draw, then I turn the Wacom pen over to use the Eraser end -- which worked correctly -- but when I turned the pen over to resume drawing it switched to the PEN tool , instead of switching back to the PENCIL tool that I was using to draw before erasing.

Now, here is the frustrating part: this behavior only happens intermittently, it does not always happen. Sometimes the Eraser behavior works as expected:

Draw with PENCIL tool, ERASE with eraser end of Wacom stylus, then turn the stylus over and resume drawing with the PENCIL tool as normal.

But other times it switches to the PEN tool for no reason. Does anyone else get this odd behavior ? (I wonder if maybe this happens because I'm using an older Wacom Cintiq with old driver that is not officially compatible with my OS 12.7.1, so maybe it is a problem related to the old Wacom driver? )
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 27 Mar 2024, 12:40, edited 2 times in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elena C

Re: Odd ERASER behavior in 11.7.2

Post by Elena C »

I'm having this exact same problem! Only that when I rotate the stylus from eraser to pen, my pen jumps to another colour I have used previously. So I'm drawing with blue, I turn the stylus around to erase, turn it back to draw and the Pen tool switches to green or black...
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elena C wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 09:12 I'm having this exact same problem! Only that when I rotate the stylus from eraser to pen, my pen jumps to another colour I have used previously. So I'm drawing with blue, I turn the stylus around to erase, turn it back to draw and the Pen tool switches to green or black...
I haven't had the color changing issue. Does that happen to you constantly or does the problem come and go?
For me , the pen not switching back to drawing mode after I use the eraser end of the pen is an intermittent problem, sometimes it happens , most of the time it does not happen, but I can't figure out what causes it when it does happen.

Agneta

Post by Agneta »

Hello D.T Nethery,

I've started a new topic, because I have an issue with an odd Eraser bahaviour as well, but a bit different one. Nevertheless, I guess it may be somehow connected.

In my case, as soon as I rotate the stylus from Pen to Eraser, the settings for the Eraser, which I set before, are reset to: power 80 %, size 12,5, opacity 100% and so on. So basically I am stuck with these particular eraser settings. Each time I wanna erase with other settings, (lets say, another power, opacity or size) i need to change them manually.

I have this issue constantly. I’ve tried reinstalling TV Paint and it didn’t help.

I have Mac Ventura and Tv Paint 11.7.2. Maybe MacOS should be updated to Sonoma?... although, the common advice is to wait with Mac Upadates

greetings,
Agneta
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Agneta, we have seen your messages and will try to reproduce this issue ASAP
Probably a vampire
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

Thank you, Dean!
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

Today I have additionally to the eraser tool - problem, issue with the color of a pen tool. Same issue as Elena C. has/had.
Yesterday I didn’t have this problem specifically. I have restarted the PC and reinstalled the TV Paint again, but it didn’t help. It is hardly possible to work this way.
Elena C

Post by Elena C »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 13:02
Elena C wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 09:12 I'm having this exact same problem! Only that when I rotate the stylus from eraser to pen, my pen jumps to another colour I have used previously. So I'm drawing with blue, I turn the stylus around to erase, turn it back to draw and the Pen tool switches to green or black...
I haven't had the color changing issue. Does that happen to you constantly or does the problem come and go?
For me , the pen not switching back to drawing mode after I use the eraser end of the pen is an intermittent problem, sometimes it happens , most of the time it does not happen, but I can't figure out what causes it when it does happen.
Yes, for me it's a permanent problem :( Every time I erase and turn my stylus around I have to reselect my desired colour...
It sounds like there's some sort of issue that is causing both this problems... Hopefully we'll get a reply/solution...

I'm also using macOS Ventura as Agneta... I wonder if this issue exists for any Sonoma users.
Elena C

Post by Elena C »

Any solution for this problem? :(
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Elena, additional testing is required on our part, we will keep you updated.
Probably a vampire
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

In the meantime, could you install v11.7.3 in parallel of your current version and see if the issue stil occurs, please?
Probably a vampire
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

Hi Dean,

I have installed a new Version and the Stylus and the Eraser tool seems to work properly now! Thank you very much!
Elena C

Post by Elena C »

Hoooraaay! It's been fixed in the new update.
Thank you team!
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elena C wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 08:33 Hoooraaay! It's been fixed in the new update.
Thank you team!
Yes, the problem seems to be resolved in the latest update 11.7.3. . :D