Video Layer

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Kramme

Video Layer

Post by Kramme »

Lately I've been doing a lot of animation on top of live action footage and every time I import a video the tvpp file size blows up and it takes a long time to save and load files. I imagine it is because TVP converts every frame to a bunch of editable pixels; adding a ton of information to the project. I usually never have to edit/draw directly on the video layer, so I was wondering if in the future it could be possible to import videos to some kind of "video layers" or "reference layers" where they aren't editable but just referenced. It could also be a feature in the image library/guideline panel. It would be awesome to be able to work with importing video files without the tvpps being heavy to work with.

Thanks for reading!
slowtiger

Re: Video Layer

Post by slowtiger »

TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Kramme

Post by Kramme »

True, that does fix the problems I mentioned; now the loading just takes place when working in the file, so it takes a few seconds every time I move through the timeline, making it very hard to work with. Maybe asking my boss for a faster PC, is a better solution ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I've noticed that I only need a very small portion of a video reference anyway, a second or two, so for me it makes sense to really import the video, truncate it, then save as TVP file which is not that large at all. Additionally I've found that often I only need a reference on 2's, so changing that decreases file size as well.

Of course if you're doing a full project with rotoscoping, vamping up the machines is the way to go.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5