Flipping manually

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
jugndune

Flipping manually

Post by jugndune »

I can't figure out a way to flip between keys, or image marks, using the keyboard only. Essentially I want to set up a hotkey for 'Go to Next Image Mark' and 'Go to Previous Image Mark'. I want this to be a keyboard-only shortcut though, I don't want to scrub using my stylus.
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Flipping manually

Post by Dean »

Hello, different flip types can be created by users and not all require the use of the mouse :) https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... esentation
Image marks can be set as checkpoints for the flip, I think the most adapted to your needs would be the Directional one.
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

jugndune wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 00:36 I can't figure out a way to flip between keys, or image marks, using the keyboard only. Essentially I want to set up a hotkey for 'Go to Next Image Mark' and 'Go to Previous Image Mark'. I want this to be a keyboard-only shortcut though, I don't want to scrub using my stylus.
Using Keyboard only, you can set hotkeys for Next Image Mark and Previous Image Mark. In Shortcuts look for ImageMarks, Next and Previous.
Assign keys. (in my example I have assigned F = Previous Image Mark , G = Next Image Mark)
Screen Shot 2023-10-20 at 5.05.19 AM.png

I still think you should look into using the Flips panel as Dean suggests. Here is the Flips system I use: https://paperless-animation.blogspot.co ... pping.html

The advantage here is that I can assign Image Mark colors to specific types of drawings: KEYS = Red Image mark, Breakdowns = Blue Image Marks , Inbetweens = no Image Mark, then my assigned shortcut keys are :

- Flip KEYS Only - keyboard shortcut F

- Flip both KEYS & BREAKDOWNS - keyboard shortcut G

- Flip ALL drawings KEYS/BD's/INBs - keyboard shortcut H

Although this works by holding the key down and scrubbing left-to-right and right-to-left with stylus, which you said you prefer not to do.

But if you are ok to use only ONE image mark color and only want to flip from Previous to Next image marks , then it would work to simply assign F = Previous Image Mark , G = Next Image Mark .
(note: it can be any two hotkeys you prefer ; I use F and G because they are next to one another and those also happen to be the same hotkeys used for this function in Toonboom Harmony, so I don't have to mentally switch over to a different way of flipping if I move between TVPaint and Harmony, because sometimes for certain jobs I must use Harmony, although my preference is to use TVPaint).

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
jugndune

Post by jugndune »

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you both so much!