Display of the timeline as per project

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Jeremy Richard

Display of the timeline as per project

Post by Jeremy Richard »

Having the display of the timeline set/recorded as per project file and not linked to the general preferences.

In other words, having the possibility to change the timeline from horizontal to vertical (for example) simply by a button inside the interface, and with the current setting kept within the project's settings.

This request is prompted by the fact that I tend to use a vertical timeline for when drawing backgrounds (specially still backgrounds) and which are kept in a separate file than the animated action. So each time I go back and forth between my background and action I have to change the setting of the timeline from the main preferences (in which case the shift+D shortcut is very useful).

The option could possibly take the form of a series of buttons in the bottom right-hand corner of the timeline with icons resembling (for example) the ones in the developer tool of
Firefox
Firefox docking.png
Firefox docking.png (14.49 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
or Edge
Edge docking.png
Edge docking.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
This request could maybe be coupled with the one made previously of docking the timeline on top.

This request may also trigger the need to have the position of any panels to be also set/recorded in the project's settings, but this is maybe another feature request or may not be desirable.
Peter Wassink

Re: Display of the timeline as per project

Post by Peter Wassink »

You could use rooms for this now.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Jeremy Richard

Post by Jeremy Richard »

Peter Wassink wrote: 31 May 2023, 13:37 You could use rooms for this now.
Indeed, I just tried with a demo version. Thank you for pointing this out.

I should have mentioned that I have the Standard version of TVPaint.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

We are currently reflecting on improvements which could be brought to the room system in TVPaint 12.
Maybe it is not so relevant anymore that they are restricted to the Professional edition.
Probably a vampire
Jeremy Richard

Post by Jeremy Richard »

Maybe just having the ability to switch from a horizontal to a vertical timeline with just a button (regardless of if it can be stored in the project), would be a nice little addition to the standard version.

We do see notion of spaces depending of where you are in the process of editing, for example, in software like Kdenlive, Davinci Resolve or Media Composer more recently.
Rooms-Kdenlive.jpg
Rooms-Kdenlive.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 4635 times

Open Toonz has something similar.
Rooms-OpenToonz.jpg
Rooms-OpenToonz.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 4635 times

But they don't necessarily allow us to create our own space. So maybe this is where lies the difference between a room system in the pro version and one for the standard version. With the standard version having maybe a limited set of rooms pre-defined while the pro version's room system is fully customizable.