Improve Clip Naming Convention when Splitting Clips

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Improve Clip Naming Convention when Splitting Clips

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 14:19
New features in v11.7.1 released on Dec.7, 2022 (and updated on Dec. 22, 2022) -
viewtopic.php?p=131408#p131408
  • Changed clip naming convention: by default, clips are now named “Clip_001”, “Clip_002”… instead of “Untitled”.

The new clip naming convention Clip_001, Clip_002, Clip_003, etc. is fine.

However , in a discussion with a new user about using the Split Clip command to split up a long project into many clips I am reminded that every time a clip is split, TVPaint appends the designation left or right, and as more splits are made the accumulation of "right" on the new clip names increases each time. So if you originally had a single clip named Clip_001 and you split it multiple times you end up with ridiculous clip names like: Clip_001,right,right,right,right,right,right,right,right,right,left .

Of course , the best practice is to initially set up a new project with an appropriate number of clips , all named consecutively as Clip_001, Clip_002, Clip_003, Clip_004, Clip_005, etc. so you don't have to go through a procedure of making multiple splits. But sometimes it happens that a longer clip needs to be split up multiple times.

As of now the only workaround is to immediately re-name the clip after the splitting action has been performed , to eliminate the excess accumulations of "right,right,right,right,right,right" appended to the Clip name as each additional split is made.

Is there any way to eliminate having the "left" and "right" appended to the Clip Name when a single clip is split up into multiple clips ? If I have a single clip named Clip_001 and I split it into two clips then it seems like the project should now have Clip_001 and Clip_002. Then if I split it again the project would have Clip_001, Clip_002, Clip_003, ... and so forth.

This could be problem if the project already contains other clips named Clip_002, Clip_003, Clip_004 , etc. so perhaps when a clip is being split the newly split clip gets a designation of a, b, c. d, e. f, g, etc. Therefore splitting Clip_001 multiple times would result in clips named like this: Clip_001, Clip_001a, Clip_001b, Clip_001c, Clip_001d, etc. , leaving the names of other clips in the project unduplicated when creating new split clips, so there are no redundant or duplicated clip names. If a single clip is split more than 26 times , the appended letter doubles up starting after Clip_001z , so the next one is Clip_001aa, then Clip_001bb, Clip_001cc, and so forth ...

Another thought: is it possible to add a batch Rename Selected Clips command (similar to Rename Instances on the timeline) so if the user Selects All Clips (or a certain range of Clips) then clicks on Rename the user can specify a Prefix name (or just leave the name as Clip) and a Starting number like 01 or 001 , so then all the clips will be renamed sequentially as Prefix_001 , Prefix_002, Prefix_003, Prefix_004, Prefix_005, Prefix_006, Prefix_007, etc.

-------

This is not a useful naming convention for clips, imo -
TVPaint_Current_Split_Clip_Naming_Convention.png
TVPaint_Current_Split_Clip_Naming_Convention.png (19.94 KiB) Viewed 14146 times

Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 09 Jan 2023, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Re: Improve Clip Naming Convention when Splitting Clips

Post by slowtiger »

Oh, this is a tricky one, because each and every user prefers their very own naming system, and because some people (like me) will change a lot of stuff in the middle of the process, especially while storyboarding, so it's always hard to maintain a correct sequence of artwork as well as some consistent numbering.

Your suggestion, which of course is better than any excessive "right, right, right", will work in a situation where it doesn't matter which number a clip gets, usually right at the start of a new project.

Now let's think of being in the middle, in the situation of inserting a scene or two inside a structure which already has artwork in the following clips.
I'm in 007, want to split it plus insert a new one: in your fashion I will get a new 008 and 009, which already exist later on.
What I'm used to would be: 007, 007_01, 007_02, 008, 009 etc.
If I split any of these later I'd get 007_01_01, 007_01_02 etc.
This will make sense as long as I don't change position of clips, which at some point would need a general renaming anyway.

I think it's impossible to satisfy every user's naming prefs in the clipping process. Instead I propose the ability to select a bunch of clips/all of them and rename/number them to my very own taste, complete with naming schemes to import and export, and lock the names of selected clips (so you don't get confused and find fixed story points easily).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

In what I'm proposing we would always have the option to rename a clip anything we want to name it (just like now) , but instead of assigning the "left" "right" (numerous iterations of "right") to the split clips by default, a letter suffix would be assigned to each new split of a clip,so let's say in the middle of a sequence you decide to split Clip_009 into 4 new clips. You would have the original Clip_009, and also the splits: Clip_009a, Clip_009b, Clip_009c, Clip_009d .

slowtiger wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 09:15 Instead I propose the ability to select a bunch of clips/all of them and rename/number them to my very own taste, complete with naming schemes to import and export, and lock the names of selected clips (so you don't get confused and find fixed story points easily).
Yes, if the current method of automatically assigning "right,right,right,right,right" to the split clips can't be changed , then an added option to allow the user to automatically rename a group of selected clips or rename all clips with a prefix+number (or number+suffix) of the user's choice could be a solution. This already exists in TVPaint with Renaming Instances on the timeline , so I hope a similar renaming option could also be applied to the Clips.

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 13:14In what I'm proposing we would always have the option to rename a clip anything we want to name it (just like now) , but instead of assigning the "left" "right" (numerous iterations of "right") to the split clips by default, a letter suffix would be assigned to each new split of a clip,so let's say in the middle of a sequence you decide to split Clip_009 into 4 new clips. You would have the original Clip_009, and also the splits: Clip_009a, Clip_009b, Clip_009c, Clip_009d .
I'm curious, what would happen if you then split Clip_009b into two clips?
Do you have Clip_009ba and Clip_009bb ? Then Clip_009baa, Clip_009bba, and Clip_009baaa and Clip_009bbaa and so on as you split more and more?

There would still be a repeat of the "left" and "right".
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 14:22
D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 13:14In what I'm proposing we would always have the option to rename a clip anything we want to name it (just like now) , but instead of assigning the "left" "right" (numerous iterations of "right") to the split clips by default, a letter suffix would be assigned to each new split of a clip,so let's say in the middle of a sequence you decide to split Clip_009 into 4 new clips. You would have the original Clip_009, and also the splits: Clip_009a, Clip_009b, Clip_009c, Clip_009d .
I'm curious, what would happen if you then split Clip_009b into two clips?
Do you have Clip_009ba and Clip_009bb ? Then Clip_009baa, Clip_009bba, and Clip_009baaa and Clip_009bbaa and so on as you split more and more?

There would still be a repeat of the "left" and "right".
In that case I would rename Clip_009b before splitting it again.

Well, I suppose in the end using letters (a, b, c, d, e, ...) appended to the split clip is not so different than appending the word "right" each time there is a new split ?

The only solution to eliminate the excess accumulations of "right,right,right,right,right,right" appended to the Clip name as each additional split is made is to immediately re-name each new clip after the splitting action has been performed.

Do you think it is feasible to have a Rename Clip function, which allows the user to batch rename a selected group of clip or all clips , similar to how Rename Instances works on the Timeline ?

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:01In that case I would rename Clip_009b before splitting it again.
I know you would, but that's not the case for everyone.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:01Well, I suppose in the end using letters (a, b, c, d, e, ...) appended to the split clip is not so different than appending the word "right" each time there is a new split ?
If you do not rename the clips after the splits, there will still be a lot of characters appended at the end of the clip's name, yes.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:01Do you think it is feasible to have a Rename Clip function, which allows the user to batch rename a selected group of clip or all clips , similar to how Rename Instances works on the Timeline ?
Kevin and I had a discussion about that this afternoon, and we are going to see if this can be added :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Here's another thought on improving the method of naming split clips:

What if splitting a clip automatically updates the numbering of all subsequent clips ? So let's say I have created SCENE 1 with 5 clips . The names are Clip_001, Clip_002, Clip_003, Clip_004, Clip_005. Now I split Clip_004 . The new split clip is named Clip_005 and the previously named Clip_005 automatically updates to Clip_006. So instead of renaming the new split clip as Clip_004_right it is named Clip_005 and the following clip ,Clip_005, updates to Clip_006. The updating of the clip number only occurs within clips that are part of the scene , so the clips in SCENE 1 that are split and renumbered do not renumber clips in SCENE 2 and subsequent scenes.

I think a problem is that TVPaint doesn't distinguish clearly enough between a "SCENE" vs. a "CLIP" . Practically speaking there are really only CLIPS in terms of the automatic naming convention.
For example , If I have SCENE 1 with 5 Clips (named Clip_001, Clip_002, Clip_003, Clip_004, Clip_005) if I then click on the button to Add A New Scene after Current Scene , it is named "Clip_006". But it isn't really Clip_006, is it ? It's Clip 1 of Scene 2, so it should be named Clip_001, because now it's the start of a new scene, SCENE_2. So with the creation of a new Scene the Clip Numbering should start over at 1. And in fact, it does actually do that in the panel naming info that is seen in the upper left corner of the panel. My new scene is labeled correctly there as 2-1/1 (Scene 2 , Clip 1 of 1) . But then why is Clip 1 named "Clip_006" in the main title bar of the clip ?

TVPaint_SCENES_and_CLIPS.png
TVPaint_SCENES_and_CLIPS.png (57.29 KiB) Viewed 14158 times
SCENEandCLIP_Naming_Convention.png
SCENEandCLIP_Naming_Convention.png (23 KiB) Viewed 14158 times

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:38
D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:01In that case I would rename Clip_009b before splitting it again.
I know you would, but that's not the case for everyone.
Ok, fair point. But I wonder if anyone truly prefers having clips with names like CLIP_009,right,right,right,right,right,left ?
Maybe there is no better way to name the split clips, but I hope there is.

Thierry wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:38
D.T. Nethery wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 15:01Do you think it is feasible to have a Rename Clip function, which allows the user to batch rename a selected group of clip or all clips , similar to how Rename Instances works on the Timeline ?
Kevin and I had a discussion about that this afternoon, and we are going to see if this can be added :)
I'm glad to know you are discussing it! I hope the batch Rename Clips function can be added.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Re: Batch renaming Clips -

Well, how embarrassing is this for me ? (I must be getting old ! :( ) . As usual the brilliant Mads Juul (miss that guy!) got there first. In 2011 Mads posted his custom script panel for Batch Renaming Clips. I believe I had downloaded it at one time , but apparently I totally forgot about it ! In the past I haven't done much in the way of batch renaming of clips because I haven't had a great need for it. I usually work on individual animation scenes in TVPaint, not storyboards/animatics . But my recent conversation with a new user of TVPaint has reminded me that the Clip naming convention when splitting a long project into smaller clips really needs a batch renamer . And now I have remembered it already exists ! (I confirm it still works in TVPaint 11.7.1)

Mads' script is posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5403&p=47609

At the time Mads and several others mentioned: "this batch renaming of clips function really should be built-in to TVPaint." I agree.

Also, with a bit more searching of the forum I see that Nathan Otano has a Batch Rename Clips button in his huge custom storyboard tools panel called OTANO Storyboard Tools .

viewtopic.php?t=10376

(to my chagrin, I find that I have also downloaded Nathan's custom panel in the past, but obviously I did not take the time needed to learn how to use all the various buttons -- there are MANY ! -- because I haven't had the need to do batch renaming of clips.)

It just seems to me like Batch Rename Clips ought to be a standard function in the software instead of a custom script.

Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I think after splitting, the right part of the clip, (=the new clip) should simply get the next number.
just as new clips automatically get assigned a new (the next) number. a split clip is in a way the same as creating a new clip.
if there are following clips their number becomes old number+1
and clips that have deliberately been named keep their name.

Basically the exact same system as is used for instance naming.
it makes the most sense and is the most consistent

(see discussion in Beta)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

i also like Davids suggestion to start numbering clips from 1 for each new scene.

but maybe for this a new panel can be introduced?
Like the "New layer Presets" panel of the layerpanel
but for the project window
a "New Clip Preset" panel

This panel would allow the user to set how TVPaint handles this.
So for instance wether it should number through... or start from 1 for each new scene
And other stuff like: position, duration, colorgroup and the namingconvention of clips and scenes
for instance should the scene number/name be part of the clip name?

sc01-cl001 sc01-cl002 sc01-cl003
sc02-cl001
sc03-cl001 sc03-cl002

or not

001 002 003
001 002

or neglect the scene nr's altogether

001 002 003
005 006 007

It would increase consistency between the project view and the timeline view and give more control to the user
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 17:17 i also like Davids suggestion to start numbering clips from 1 for each new scene.
And in fact, this already exists (sort of), because if we hover our mouse over the upper left corner we see that when a new Scene is added the name is Scene 2-1/1 (Scene 2, Clip 1 of 1). It's just that the name which shows up in the title bar of the clip is inconsistent with the naming structure given to the new Scene/Clip. ( see attached screencapture movie )

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 12.40.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 12.40.56 PM.png (30.63 KiB) Viewed 13687 times
Peter Wassink wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 17:17 but maybe for this a new panel can be introduced?
Like the "New layer Presets" panel of the layerpanel
but for the project window
a "New Clip Preset" panel

This panel would allow the user to set how TVPaint handles this.
So for instance whether it should number through... or start from 1 for each new scene
And other stuff like: position, duration, colorgroup and the namingconvention of clips and scenes
for instance should the scene number/name be part of the clip name?
Yes, I like the idea of having a New Clip Presets panel similar to the New Layer Presets , where the individual user has
some options of how to name/number split clips or new clips.
Attachments
SCENE_and_CLIP_Naming_in_TVPaint_11.7.1.mov
(19.43 MiB) Downloaded 244 times