Python scripting

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Python scripting

Post by ematecki »

masterchief wrote:there are TONS of available Perl scripts out there, all FREE
Well, they are of no use in TVPA.....

The important question to answer when choosing a scripting language is : "how many users will be able to use it".
If only programmers can use it, it's not a scripting language anymore, but a SDK.

Python seems to fit the bill quite nicely, when the not-re-entrant problem is solved (maybe it is, I have no time to check right now).

It's syntax is clear for the beginner (even more than george !)
And it has almost no limits for the advanced user.
There are probably even more python code around than perl code (and most of it just as useless in TVPA as the perl ones...)

If python is technically useable (ie re-entrant) at the moment we make the decision of which language to use, it will be choosen.
If not, we'll have to investigate the other options (LUA, Ruby, maybe others)
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

masterchief wrote:I use Modo and it uses Perl as scripting engine.... it also will use Lua I belive...
there are TONS of available Perl scripts out there, all FREE
Perl and Python are both great languages and can be used for lots of things. At one time there was talk of integrating them into a new language called 'Parrot' -- the project evolved into a kind of universal virtual machine to be used with a variety of scripting languages.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

ematecki wrote:
masterchief wrote:there are TONS of available Perl scripts out there, all FREE
Well, they are of no use in TVPA.....

The important question to answer when choosing a scripting language is : "how many users will be able to use it".
If only programmers can use it, it's not a scripting language anymore, but a SDK.
quote]

P-practical
E-extraction
R-and reporting
L-language

it can be made to do many things...

I have used it to monitor Programmable Logic Controller for 4MW electrical power generation plant... start/stop equipment, parallel generators, realtime display of generator output.

let scripters create with most powerful tools that you can give them.....

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
AlexandreAlves

Post by AlexandreAlves »

Hello,
I took the liberty to bring back this thread from the dead because I think the issue is still relevant today.
I'm a freelance software engineer who works with an animation studio currently and switching from George to Python would be a massive improvement for TVPaint.
I think the issues you had with it are now resolved with the more recent versions of Python and it would give a lot of power to TVPaint users and devs for those users to be able to use Python.
Also the language is easy and tutorials plenty so non-devs can easily create script or find help on python forums for the basics.
(Or you could also go the Adobe way with js)

Regards,
Alexandre