Default behavior when manually scrubbing the timeline

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Default behavior when manually scrubbing the timeline

Post by D.T. Nethery »

For consideration:

To navigate between Instances we can set up the Flips panel in various configurations so pressing a certain key on the keyboard will flip Only Keys or Keys + Breakdowns ,or Flip ALL (keys,b'downs,inbetweens) and we can use the keyboard shortcuts CMD Right and CMD Left to navigate Next Instance or Previous Instance, but often it is more convenient while animating to simply "scrub" a section of drawings on the Timeline, moving forward and back using the pen cursor , thus eliminating the delay of having to press a key on the keyboard or press a Wacom tablet express key. It takes me out of the moment to have to stop , locate, and press the key(s) to invoke the Flips or press keys CMD RIGHT /CMD LEFT . It is faster to manually scrub/flip through a section of drawings on the timeline using the pen cursor.

Currently , when using the pen to scrub forward and back on the timeline the default behavior of TVPaint is to navigate Next Frame/Previous Frame instead of Next Instance/Previous Instance.
(I realize I can make it be Next Instance/Previous Instance by pressing default shortcut key W (for Flip Manually) or pressing shortcut CMD Right / CMD Left ,but what I would like to do is to cut out the necessity of having to press a keyboard shortcut to do this when scrubbing with the pen or mouse. For my workflow doing animation there is no real need to progress frame by frame instead of instance by instance.

My request: Could it be possible by a user-defined checkbox in Preferences to change the default behavior of manually scrubbing the Timeline to Next Instance/Previous Instance ?

This would be useful for animators who have some Instances exposed ON 2's , 3's , or 4's and some instances on 1's. It's not convenient when scrubbing/flipping manually through a section of drawings with the pen cursor to have it advance frame by frame. The animator needs to navigate from instance to instance while animating. (if we need to check how the timing is working we will click the Playback button to see the animation playback in real time).

Make it a checkbox in the Preferences to allow user to choose which default scrub behavior they prefer. Those who want their default behavior to be Next Frame / Previous Frame can have it that way, or those who prefer Next Instance/Previous Instance can set it to their own preference.

I don't know if this is possible (would it have an unwanted effect when scrubbing sound ?) , but if it is possible I would prefer my default behavior to be Next Instance/Previous Instance when manually scrubbing the Timeline with my pen cursor.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Default behavior when manually scrubbing the timeline

Post by Thierry »

Hi David,

This is a good idea!
Make it a checkbox in the Preferences to allow user to choose which default scrub behavior they prefer. Those who want their default behavior to be Next Frame / Previous Frame can have it that way, or those who prefer Next Instance/Previous Instance can set it to their own preference.
That would be the best way to do it.
However, the Preferences panel is in a dire need of a revamp, as we've added a lot of checkboxes in it over the last few years, and maybe not in the correct places.
We'll do that in TVPaint 12 :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.