How to use Brush Spreading for "Oil Painting" effect ?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

How to use Brush Spreading for "Oil Painting" effect ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I have to admit I've never understood how to use the Brush Spreading FX to get the effect of turning a photograph into a "faux oil painting" (similar to the "Oil Paint" filter in Photoshop).

It shows this image on the TVPaint website, saying "This FX gives good results if you want to modify a photograph to give it a painted look" .

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.42.43 PM.jpg

I can't make it work. Would someone please post screen shots for Brush Spreading FX Stack settings to achieve the same "painted" effect as shown ? -

Source:
Brush_Spreading_Source.png

Results:
Brush_Spreading_FX_results.png

Here's the result I get in Photoshop using the Oil Paint filter -

Oil Paint Filter in PS.png

If someone can help me understand how to adjust the settings in Brush Spreading FX to modify a photograph to a painted look I would like to try adjusting it to
get a similar "watercolour" effect that can be obtained with an iPhone app called WaterLogue , like this:
faux_watercolour.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Re: How to use Brush Spreading for "Oil Painting" effect ?

Post by slowtiger »

That's a completely different effect. To achieve something like the second example, you need to adjust brightness and saturation first before applying that brush effect. Still the result will differ. If you look for a certain effect which works perfectly for you in one program, I advise to just use that program for it.

As an aside, it's amazing what those little smartphone and tablet apps are able to do nowadays. I' beginning to envy users of Procreate since it seems to have the best watercolor simulation I know, and the software is not available for Mac.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

slowtiger wrote: 25 May 2022, 09:26 That's a completely different effect. To achieve something like the second example, you need to adjust brightness and saturation first before applying that brush effect.

Yes, I was hoping that by applying different FX in the stack I might be able to achieve something like the watercolour look , but the first obstacle is I can't get the basic "painterly" effect on the image as shown using the Brush Spreading. I set the Source to the original image , but I can't get anything like the results shown in the sample images on the TVPaint website. That is why I was hoping someone could post a screenshot of the settings necessary to achieve that effect . After that I would have to experiment with those settings and adding other FX . I just want to know how to use the Brush Spreading FX. I can't get these results using the steps provided in the User Guide . https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -spreading

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.42.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.42.43 PM.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

slowtiger wrote: 25 May 2022, 09:26 ...
As an aside, it's amazing what those little smartphone and tablet apps are able to do nowadays. I' beginning to envy users of Procreate since it seems to have the best watercolor simulation I know, and the software is not available for Mac.
My apologies D.T. Nethery! I don't mean to get off topic as I don't have any insight into your question. Just wanted to chime in about watercolor simulation...

Slowtiger, there's a program called Rebelle 5 and it specializes in realistic painting tools. The watercolor engine has simulated dripping effects, blow drying, etc. It's quite impressive. A Mac version is available for it. Worth taking a look.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)