Export all clips as psd WITH layers?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sewie

Export all clips as psd WITH layers?

Post by Sewie »

Dear TVP friends,

Is it possible to export a number of clips as psd files with layers intact with one setting?

Right now it is possible from Export Footage > Clip: Layer Structure > sequence > and selecting PSD, but that is for just one clip, so if you have (for example) ten clips you have to redo this for every clip.
What I am looking for is a way to export ALL clips at once from the Export Footage window as PSD WITH layers intact...
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Sewie

Re: Export all clips as psd WITH layers?

Post by Sewie »

So..., shall I make this a feature request then?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Meowl

Post by Meowl »

I too am interested in using TVPaint for storyboarding, but it looks like without this functionality to export all the clips at once as a batch PSD sequence with layers, I wouldn't be able to take enough advantage of the Clips in Storyboard panel to make practical enough over other softwares for meeting the demands of the production pipeline I work into. Is it possible to do this? Was there any progress on this since OP?

Ideally just a single folder exported with a PSD(w/ Layers) for each frame of each clip all at once. If it could export them all as .TIF(w/ Layers), even better! Then I could avoid converting them all in pShop after the fact (our pipeline uses ONLY .tif files with layers intact). I am hoping to hear at least one of these is possible!
Thank you!

* I sincerely apologize if I missed an answer to this in the rest of the forum, I only found this post.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I'm trying to understand what the pipeline is that requires storyboard panels (clips) to be exported to Photoshop. What do you need to do to the artwork in Photoshop that you can't simply do in TVPaint?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

You can use my export script in my storyboard tools panel for that viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10376
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

NathanOtano wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 15:28 You can use my export script in my storyboard tools panel for that viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10376

There's something I'm not understanding about your Storyboard Tools Export Script. When I hold Shift and click on the Export Storyboard Diapos button , I get various options , one of which is to If Project View Export as PSD or PNG. If I select PSD it still exports the panels as PNG. What am I doing wrong ?
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.28.58 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.28.58 AM.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 9090 times
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 07 Oct 2021, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

It's because you export the camera view i think, try to disable it?
Future version will be able to do it but for now it can't I think
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 15:05 I'm trying to understand what the pipeline is that requires storyboard panels (clips) to be exported to Photoshop. What do you need to do to the artwork in Photoshop that you can't simply do in TVPaint?
could be sharing your panels (in layers) with artists or other teammembers that don't have access to tvpaint.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

NathanOtano wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 17:44 It's because you export the camera view i think, try to disable it?
I turned the camera view off , but I still can't get it to export my Clips to PSD . Instead it exports the storyboard panels as individual PNGs.

Meowl

Post by Meowl »

Thanks so much!!! I'll try out the script and see if that solves it.

In answer to your question about why export - yes, it's to plug it into another app the studio uses for sending panels to/from editorial as well as so artists not using TVPaint can access those panels. Most feature studios still use a photoshop/panel manager 2-app setup which I agree i's a bit of a redundant & outdated system, but not within my paygrade to change so the app either works with what they have or I can't use it. It's less that photoshop needs to be used and more that whatever app people use have to plug into that panel-manager in-house software which is what is used to translate back and forth between Editorial depts (Avid), and Story department. Ideally, we'd all be working on the same timeline as a common canvas. I know there's an open-source one DIsney/Pixar have on github called OTIO. https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenTimelineIO Maybe one day apps can all work on one timeline file similar to an .obj for 3D objects.

Anyway, hoping this script solves the issue! Having a separate clip/camera for each shot I can edit within TVPaint seems like an ideal setup so I hope this works!
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 16:49
NathanOtano wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 17:44 It's because you export the camera view i think, try to disable it?
I turned the camera view off , but I still can't get it to export my Clips to PSD . Instead it exports the storyboard panels as individual PNGs.
There is definitely cases where the code exports as PNGs cause it doesn't make sens to export as PSDs, I just don't remember which options forces PNGs D:
To me you need :
- Export Camera view : OFF
- If Project view etc : PSD

To me the rest doesn't change anything, but you may try to toggle them on and off just in case (you can try to set export all images to off maybe? If it works that way, you need to break all instances in the clips I guess to have all your images exported as psd). You can also try to toggle the two options above on and off just in case there is a bug but to me it should work fine
Sorry since i'm not working on the last version on the forum I can't help much more
Working on Windows 10