TVPaint Contest Proposal

To talk about animation Annecy, CTN Expo, Zagreb, Ottawa, Hiroshima... and many other festivals !
Cardin

TVPaint Contest Proposal

Post by Cardin »

An idea:

TVPaint should sponsor their own contests right here on the forum. A friendly challenge would encourage community engagement on the forum, and elsewhere, as people share progress of their work. Different themes could be explored which would motivate users to utilize the many great features of TVPaint in their production. These short pieces would showcase the beauty of 2D animation as well as TVPaint's enduring legacy of providing the best means to produce it.

But there is already the 11 Second Club and other animation contests on Facebook, why do we need another one?
-This contest would obviously only permit 2D animation produced entirely in TVPaint. So no entries using Maya, Blender, etc. Maybe a rule stipulating that only small portions of the animation can be produced outside of TVPaint. The goal is to demonstrate how TVPaint helps animators create a wide variety of styles and works.

To help ensure compliance with rules, entrants would have to submit their project files for review. This way, everyone would be confident that each entry is a genuine and unique work.

Schedule
-Quarterly or bi-annually. The contests should not run that long. The theme of the contest could be announced 10 days or 30 days before the deadline. This, so you know entrants wouldn't submit an animation they completed years ago or start working on a project ahead of the announcement.

Awards & Prizes
-A critique from an established professional. Maybe Aaron Blaise could do a video critique of the winner(s), schedule permitting, of course. Again, the contest would only be held 4 or less times a year. He's talked about doing critiques in the past but said figuring out the logistics was an issue. Well, this seems like a possible solution. I assume Aaron and Nick still have a working arrangement with TVPaint.
-An Android tablet
-Winner is featured on TVPaint's social media and an Aaron Blaise livestream if he permits.
-Winner is featured in the TVPaint Newsletter...speaking of which, I haven't received a newsletter in a while. Pretty sure I hit the subscribe button :|
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
Benjamin Cerbai

Re: TVPaint Contest Proposal

Post by Benjamin Cerbai »

Hello Cardin,

Nice idea! I will see how we can make it happen. For now I am really busy with the editing of new videos (interviews we did in Japan... :) ) but for sure I take a note of it.

It may be a simple contest without any physical prize, just the joy of working on a project at the same time as others and being viewed through a hashtag and on TVPaint social media.

But having Aaron Blaise, or Travis Blaise, or Joanna Davidovich,... being part of it could be awesome, yes.

Concerning the newsletter, the last one was to promote the interview with Paul Johnson. We are currently thinking of finding the best way possible to have a better newsletter to share news more regularly (because I know that not everybody follows social media daily posts and mails are always relevant way to communicate).
Benjamin Cerbai, illustrator and videographer.
melanie

Post by melanie »

That’s a really great idea! :D
Melanie • Animator
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

melanie wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 08:11 That’s a really great idea! :D
Thanks, Melanie!
Benjamin Cerbai wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 07:26 It may be a simple contest without any physical prize, just the joy of working on a project at the same time as others and being viewed through a hashtag and on TVPaint social media.
But having Aaron Blaise, or Travis Blaise, or Joanna Davidovich,... being part of it could be awesome, yes.
... to have a better newsletter to share news more regularly..
Awesome. The Blaise Brothers and Joanna Davidovich would be fantastic. Thanks, Benjamin!

This will be fun. I know its a long ways off but I'm excited.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
animcot@comcast.net

Post by animcot@comcast.net »

Is anything happening on this idea? Is anybody organizing it?
Benjamin Cerbai

Post by Benjamin Cerbai »

For now nothing is organized at this point. We just keep this idea in mind for the future. :D
Benjamin Cerbai, illustrator and videographer.
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

Benjamin Cerbai wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 07:26 for now I am really busy with the editing of new videos (interviews we did in Japan... :)
I'm happy to hear of interviews. I was just looking at the TVPaint Youtube channel and thought how there's been nothing added for a year. I always learned something from the tutorials, and I enjoyed the interviews, so this is good news.